About the Job
Servus Credit Union is one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies. Servus is committed to being socially responsible and living the co-operative values. Through our operations, we strive to make a positive impact on our economy, the environment and society. We know that our employees are our most valuable assets so we offer ongoing growth and career advancement and we reward employees for their hard work and achievements.
As the BI Solution Architect, the role must support the Director in providing direction and consultation to the enterprise in the discipline of Business Intelligence and data warehousing technologies. The role will translate BI business requirements into sustainable data models and processes that can be developed and supported by team members. The BI Solution Architect will be accountable for an agile, efficient and effective Microsoft BI environment that ensures the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information assets that are within the BI data stores and ensure information delivery performance standards are met. As the leader for the BI infrastructure the role must liaison with Architecture, Information Security, Infrastructure and Database Administrators to understand the dependences and policies for data movement across the organization and cloud solutions.
BI Growth and Sustainment
- Identify and provide input to new technology opportunities that will support and enhance the BI system in support of the business requirements.
- Establish upgrade road maps for the BI system.
- Provide knowledge transfer to other IS teams.
- Mentor BI team members.
- Champion data quality, integrity and reliability throughout the department by designing and promoting best practices.
- Identify and support the business’ data quality remediation processes.
- Develop the data dictionary framework and processes to maintain all meta data for the warehouse.
Business Intelligence Processes and Infrastructure
- Work with business analysts, BI team, and other IS analysts to analyze business requirements and translate them into BI and data warehouse solutions.
- Work closely with the Information Architect when designing or modifying data models.
- Design and create an enterprise data warehouse and specialized data marts as required, including importation of data from multiple systems and sources.
- Provide advice and support to allow designing and implementing an optimal BI technical architecture and security framework.
- Provide leadership and support for the implementation of a Master Data Management system.
- Design and develop multidimensional or tabular models to securely expose data using SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
- Work in close collaboration with internal development resources to design and implement an enterprise data warehouse including ETL packages to load data from multiple data sources using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
- Lead the migration of ETL code across environments.
- Design and implement a testing framework that ensures all BI artifacts go through a standard quality assurance process.
- Design, develop and publish reports, KPIs and dashboards as required using SSRS and Power BI.
- Estimate system capacity to meet near and long term storage and processing requirements.
- Formulate and recommend standards for achieving maximum performance and efficiency of the Data warehouse ecosystem.
- Analyze the impact to existing data stores and reports prior to applying changes.
- Work with DBAs and Infrastructure to tune and optimize the performance of the data warehouse and impact to other supporting technologies.
- Plan and execute regular data warehouse releases.
- Design and implement a security framework to effectively manage access to data and visualizations.
- Establish processes for user and group access permissions to the data warehouse.
Communication & Team Effectiveness
- Build consensus between business partners and technical personnel for assigned deliverables and have knowledge about partner business units.
- Proficient at gathering and documenting requirements and design for highly complex business and technical problems. Interacting with business and IS partners to understand requirements, suggest solutions and support business needs for services provided by the team.
- Responsible for development and maintenance of system documentation, help files, user guides for deliverables.
- Responsible for knowledge transfer of assigned deliverables to business partners and IS staff.
- Understand the concepts of project management to lead projects.
- Communicate clearly, both written and verbally.
- Communicate timely and escalate issues appropriately.
- Complete individual status reports on time and to detail required.
- Is an effective team member within the IS department and valued business partner.
- Maintain a familiarity and working knowledge of Servus Credit Union operations policies, procedures, operating practices and products.
- Maintain familiarity of Servus Credit Union business strategies and objectives.
- Adhere to legislation and security procedures as they pertain to the role.
- Follow, support, and suggest enhancements to standards, conventions, guidelines, and SDLC.
- Provide guidance and implement industry best practices and methodologies for BI SDLC.
- Provide guidance and implement emerging BI software products, languages, and standards.
- Provide recommendations and implement new or modified development methods, procedures, and automation.
- Keep up to date on source system enhancements, data schemas, and data quality issues and develop and enhance processes to incorporate changes.
- Contribute to the service management process in the development, implementation and maintenance of IS processes in accordance to ITIL best practices.
- Develop, implement and maintain service management processes and procedures that are owned by the BI team in accordance to ITIL best practices.
- Establish and implement service catalogue entries and service agreements to support business requirements in collaboration with the Service Delivery Manager.
- Oversee the analysis of the performance of business intelligence services, identification of problem areas and delivery of solutions to enhance quality of service and to prevent future problems.
- 10+ years' experience in Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing.
- Microsoft BI software (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, MDS) and ETL processes.
- Information Delivery platforms such as Power BI, QLIK, Tableau.
- Master Data Management practices and software.
- Data Modeling.
- Leading or mentoring BI teams and projects.
Education and Training:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma (Computing/Business).
- Advanced training in Microsoft BI software and data warehousing.
Any other special requirements necessary to do the job:
Weekend or shift work, available to travel, etc.
The business may from time to time ask for branch and/or department support for special projects and/or areas experiencing staff shortages. All employees may be asked to volunteer to assist in areas of need during these times. These assignments could result in a change of hours, location, and/or travel.