Presstran Industries, a division of Magna International located in St. Thomas, Ontario, has developed an enviable reputation as a supplier to the automotive industry known for the high quality of its product and the excellence of its service. Presstran's lines of automotive stampings and welding assemblies are used in front motor compartments, underbody structures, truck frame components and front and rear suspensions as well as non-automotive applications
Reporting to the HR Department Leader or designate, the HR Generalist is responsible for the implementation and co-ordination of divisional policies and programs covering the following: employment, labour relations, wage and salary administration, orientation and training, placement, safety and health services, and Leader/Employee Development. The HR Generalist directly or indirectly oversees the functions of HR employees including contracted personnel, and students and is responsible for providing direct coaching and support to Leaders to ensure consistent and successful application of the Company's Core Values and Magna's Employees Charter. The HR Generalist assumes the role of the HR Department Leader in his/her absence.
1. Actively involved in helping our company achieve strategic goals and continuous improvement objectives as outlined in the Business Plan
2. Acts as an advisor to the Employees, Department Leaders, Supervisors and Lead hands to ensure the fair and consistent implementation of Company policies and procedures, legislation, the Magna Employees Charter, and "How We Work Together"
3. Assists the Department Leader(s) in investigations of a serious breach of Company policies/procedures.
4. Monitors progressive discipline to ensure consistency and brings forward any issues to Department Leader
5. Facilitates the process for employee concerns and questions to be resolved.
6. Maintains administration of the divisions recruitment, placement, and departmental training programs
7. Assists with the administration of wage/salary policies/structures and for appraisal programs.
8. Assists with the development, interpretation and continual updating of Company policies and procedures
9. Provides support to employees for administrative requests, inquiries, and attends meetings as an impartial mediator with the employee/leader
10. Spends an appropriate amount of time per day on the shop floor interacting with employees and leadership
11. Plans, coordinates and participates in employee celebrations as required e.g. retirement parties
12. Ensures recruitment process is followed in a timely and effective manner (requisitions, postings internal/external, candidate review, scheduling, reference checks, regret letters, follow-up, etc.) Coach leadership and management through the LDS process - building bench strength by identifying talent and creating accelerated development processes for identified talents
13. Ensures 30-60-90 probation and trail reviews are completed by the Department Leader for new hires and transfers
14. Completes all required activities when employees leave Presstran: termination checklists, exit interviews, etc
15. Promotes/recommends continuous improvement suggestions including environment, people, processes and equipment/machinery
16. Training - For their assigned Departments of responsibility: Works with the HR. Team to anticipate, research, develop, deliver, schedule, evaluate, and document training as required to meet all customer/division/corporate/ legislative needs. This may include curriculum development as required. Assists employees in the development of personal education, training objectives and career pathing
17. Monitors and tracks performance appraisal procedures and Reviews and analyses Employee Performance Improvement Plans
18. Monitors and tracks the attendance program and ensures all required follow up is complete
19. Maintains employee personnel files, follows all procedures related to retention of files
20. Attends/presents at department/employee meetings for their assigned area(s)
21. Responsible as back up for health and safety/environmental/benefit programs/services
22. Directs the preparation/maintenance of reports necessary to carry out functions of the department and prepares reports for corporate as requested including participation in employee surveys
23. Assists with department budgets where needed
24. Ensures employees are trained or certified, as required e.g. Forklift, Crane, Aerial.
25. Maintains interaction and communication with government bodies, other organizations, etc
26. Comes to work each day, as scheduled
27. Approaches each day and each challenge with a positive attitude
28. Conducts themselves in a professional manner when receiving or giving feedback/information, whether it is positive or constructive
29. Supports and models the Presstran operational procedures/policies, Employee Handbook and "How We Work Together", Magna Employee's Charter, Magna Corporate Constitution
30. Follows and complies with all operational procedures/policies as stated in the Employee Handbook, Quality and Environmental programs (e.g. TS16949, ISO14001)
Knowledge and Education
1. Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or business, or equivalent experience required.
2. Certificate of Professional Standing (CHRL) designation is preferred.
3. Manufacturing & automotive experience preferred.
4. Three (3) or more years of experience as an HR Generalist.
5. Two (2) or more years of experience in a leadership role.
6. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and able to provide administrative support.
7. Must possess tact, discretion, integrity, and maturity of judgement.
8. Must possess time management, leadership, communication, organizational and presentation skills. Ability to work independently in an efficient and effective manner.
9. Demonstrated ability to speak/train/facilitate small and large groups of people for training or meetings.
10. Demonstrated verbal, written, listening and organizational skills at an above average level.
11. Experience in administering and running a succession and talent management process or system.
12. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and able to provide own administrative support.
13. Must be able to support the Open Door Process. 14. Able to work in a strictly confidential and professional manner.
Skills and Competencies
Equipment: PC and Office Software: Microsoft Office, HRIS (e.g. PeopleSoft, ADP), Doc. Mgr, Internet, Epicor, People at Work, etc.
Under general direction of the HR Department Leader, the incumbent independently works with all levels of staff both inside and outside the division and has many and various contacts internally and externally. Excellent communication skills are required to collect and exchange information or facilitate training sessions. and some numerical ability to compile statistical information relating to program completion etc. The HR Generalist combines technical, human, and conceptual skills to plan, control, and supports all areas of responsibility toward meeting divisional objectives. The incumbent works in an office environment but is exposed to elements such as noise and temperature during time spent on the plant floor.
Presstran has an accommodation program in place that provides reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please contact Human Resources.
No phone calls please.We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Magna International Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.