Weir has been in business since 1871 and our sustainability and success has been built on attracting, retaining, and developing exceptional people.
As a global company, employing around 15,000 people in over 70 countries, we reflect the diversity of our customers in the diversity of our people and ensure everyone is given the opportunity to flourish regardless of their gender, race, beliefs or background.
Weir is an inclusive and innovative organisation where you can be your authentic self. We continually develop our talent and diversity of thought to keep our business relevant, innovative and successful for the future.
Enabling our people to unleash their full potential is central to ‘We are Weir’, our vision, mission, and strategic priorities. We aim to be the most admired engineering business in our markets and we'll achieve that ambition by being the employer of choice in our markets.
We offer a wide range of career opportunities across a variety of technical and business roles in engineering, manufacturing and service locations worldwide.
Reporting to the Director of Comminution Canada, the Product Manager is responsible for managing the Comminution product portfolio within Western Canada and in support of our Oil Sands, HRM and Aggregate business units. The product portfolio mainly comprising of the Enduron / Trio brands. This includes product marketing, applications and selection, cost/pricing estimation as well as working closely with sales and operations to drive product sales, training and project management.
Including but not limited to:
- Establishing a close partnership with the factories and Sales Teams across their designated territory and directly interfacing with customers and Project Sponsors on most matters relating to the products they manage.
- Closely involved with the sales team through the selection of equipment, determining marketing and bid strategy and ultimately creating robust solutions to be presented to clients.
- Act as Subject Matter Expert and provides direct product expertise to customers before, during and after the sales process has been completed.
- Identifying and tracking projects and opportunities for their responsible products with the area sales managers.
- With the sales team, Product presentations and highlighting our capabilities to End User and EPC clients
- Working closely with our other Product Managers and Engineering groups to align our range of Comminution Products to provide tailored solutions that meet the customer’s specific requirements.
- Assists in building an ecosystem of sub-suppliers and partners to locally source and fabricate components and systems;
- Developing a full understanding of the competition, key personnel, pricing, product range, capabilities, etc.
- Owns and is accountable for their specific product budgets while assisting with forecast planning;
- Mentoring less experienced colleagues and providing knowledge/expertise regarding their responsible products
- Comminution Product sales (through Sales team)
- New business development, marketing materials, knowledge sharing;
Health & Safety : Key Responsibilities & Requirements:
- Able to work in a manner that ensures the safety of themselves and others
- Able to demonstrate compliance to company safety procedures and legal obligations
- Recognise and report and resolve hazards identified
- Confidence and ability to intervene on practices deemed to be unsafe
- Engage and promote a zero harm culture
- Be aware of physical limitations based upon job requirements
Bachelor Degree in Engineering, preferably Mechanical specialization, with P. Eng designation. Equivalent mix of relevant technical education and extensive related experience may also be considered. A minimum of (10) years experience in selling multi-million dollar capital goods / long sales cycle products is required. Experience with and in-depth exposure to selling comminution machines and systems for mineral processing applications or aggregate markets. Experience dealing with mining and EPC’s a bonus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write detailed technical reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization
Strong written and verbal communication skills in English. French would be considered a strong asset.
Mathematical Skills & Reasoning Ability:
Above average numerical skills to understand, interpret and troubleshoot complex engineering problems and commercial aspects of product sales and marketing. Ability to solve complex practical problems and make independent decisions under minimal supervision. Ability to lead, teach and mentor less experienced colleagues.
The incumbent should have knowledge of the following software: Microsoft Windows / Office. Experience or exposure to ERP software or engineering design software is considered an asset.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Eng. Designation with additional product specialization and/or sales/marketing knowledge.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. In certain areas of the facility, personal protective equipment (PPE) may be required, including safety glasses, steel toed shoes, and ear plugs
In exceptional circumstances (e.g. visiting customer sites), the employee may be exposed to situations requiring additional safety equipment/training.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manager; gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
Managing through systems - Designs practices, processes and procedures which allow managing from a distance; makes things work through others without intervening; makes things work through others without being there; impacts people and results remotely.
Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the market place.
Strategic thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization’s strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Although this role is a semi-national level Product Management role located in Western Canada, extensive travel to various regions may be required during product sales, training and customer troubleshooting/support.