The Ryerson Student Centre is the main hub of campus life on our busy downtown campus. It is home to the university’s two main students’ unions, their affiliated campus groups and services, and provides students with affordable, fresh food and beverages in The Ram in the Rye pub and The Oakham Cafe. The Student Centre also provides its academic and local community with access to fully equipped meeting and conference rooms, and in-house catering options.
The Assistant Restaurant Manager provides leadership and support for the restaurant operations.
The Assistant Manager shall be responsible for the following areas and tasks:
- Assists in the management and operation of Oakham Café, the Ram in the Rye and Conference Services in accordance with the Ryerson Student Centre’s policies and procedures.
- Assists in managing employee relations within the food and beverage operations outlined above including scheduling, recruitment, hiring, promotion/demotion, discipline, discharge and making adjustments to staffing levels when necessary.
- Assists in the development and implementation of training plans for staff related to customer service, food quality and consistency, cash handling, health and safety, risk management, and liquor liability in accordance with the Ryerson Student Centre’s policies and procedures.
- Works with Management and Ryerson Security to ensure all applicable laws and Ryerson and Ryerson Student Centre policies and procedures are enforced to ensure the safety of students, staff and the Ryerson Community.
- Assist in the establishment of standards related to customer service and product quality. Develop and implement plans for achieving such standards. Assist in the resolution of customer complaints or disputes in accordance with those standards and Ryerson Student Centre policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance of all operations with the applicable laws of Canada, the Province of Ontario, and the City of Toronto including but not limited to those regulations provided by Toronto Public Health, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, the Ministry of Labour, Human Rights Tribunal, etc. In conjunction with Management, coordinate issues related to the Ryerson Student Centre’s liquor license, including communicating with the University License holder as required.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of management experience;
- Minimum 2-year diploma in Hospitality Management programme or equivalent experience;
- Experience supervising full and part time staff (in a unionized environment is an asset);
- Demonstrated leadership skills via education and experience in a diverse and student focused environment;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work within deadlines in a multi-faceted work environment;
- Graphic design skills are an asset;
- Superior oral and written communication;
- Dedication, commitment and a willingness to work flexible hours and overtime when necessary;
- Strong planning and time management skills;
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks;
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team;
- Food Handlers and Smart Serve certification required.
HOURS: Full-time (mainly evenings and nights), permanent, seasonal (August to April)