ARE YOU AN EXPERIENCED FINANCE PROFESSIONAL LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING CHALLENGE? Our client, a well-established organization, is looking for a Billing Analyst to join their team.
About the Opportunity
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with billing lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants and external clients, and respond to any queries regarding the billing process
- Ensure time is entered by set deadlines and follow up with lawyers and paralegals where necessary. Prepare, print and review of prebills in a timely manner, monthly, quarterly or on request, including any necessary follow up with others in the Firm and revise according to client billing guidelines and Firm standards and policies
- Prepare invoices and forward to lawyers, as required
- Monitor and review of outstanding WIP (Work In Progress) and follow up with lawyers and paralegals to ensure timely billing. Track contingency files, closings and other milestone billing arrangements and report on status of such files to Manager, Finance Operations, including requirement for WIP provisions
- Prepare various reports and spreadsheets related to time, billing, receivables, etc. for lawyers/paralegals and/or external clients where applicable
- Create PDF, delimited or XML file invoices for e-billing clients, based on such client’s requirements
- Ensure invoices and supporting documents are forwarded to client in a timely manner, by mail, email or uploading into various e-billing sites
- Liaise with Finance department to ensure client codes and contract specifications are up-to date and procedures are followed
- Liaise with E-billing Team with respect to any rejected invoices during e-billing submissions
- Complete online status reports and budgets in e-billing systems for various clients in coordination with lawyers and legal assistants
- Act as monitor for specific clients and/or matters when alternate Fee Arrangements are in place. Ensure that special rates and discounts are applied to each invoice. Monitor thresholds and other milestones and update billing lawyer on status. Provide reports and ensure compliance with all special arrangements
- Act as liaison between lawyers/LA’s and Finance, providing assistance for accounting or financial queries to ensure client needs are met
- Responsible for initial collection inquiry with external clients. Escalate billing concerns/issues to billing lawyer for direction on next steps. When necessary, cancel and re-issue invoices or create credit notes in accordance with Firm policies. If applicable, forward problematic client collections to Collection Department for follow-up
- Obtain additional information relating to special arrangements and/or information required for setup for e-billing matters, and assist E-billing team to ensure matters are set up promptly
- Review/translate narratives to ensure matter is billed in appropriate language and identify such changes for review by billing lawyers
- Post-secondary education in accounting is required, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 1 year of related experience, including client service, billing, collections and/or accounts receivable, preferably in a professional services firm
- Familiarity/experience with Aderant Expert or a similar accounting system would be an asset
- Strong time management skills, ability to handle multiple tasks, set schedules and work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Knowledge of business and legal terminology
- Capacity to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external clients
- Flexibility to work overtime during peak billing periods
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (French and English in Québec)
- High level of discretion and confidentiality
$50,000 - $55,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please note that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote 21041.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.
Lannick is the premier professional recruitment and staffing firm in the Greater Toronto Area. Founded in 1985, Lannick provides best-in-class finance, accounting and technology professionals at all roles and levels through its three divisions: Lannick Finance & Accounting, Pro Count Staffing and Lannick Technology. Lannick places more than 1,000 candidates annually and is a preferred vendor for Canada’s most successful organizations. Learn more at www.lannick.com.