Job DescriptionJob Title: Concurrent Disorders CounsellorWork Site: South Mental Health Team - Vancouver, BCStatus: Temporary Full TimeStart Date: As soon as possible until approximately August 2021Salary: $34.95 - $43.58 per hourHours:
0830- 1700 Monday to Friday
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidaysReference#: 130007-cye
Come work as a Concurrent Disorders Counsellor with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Concurrent Disorders Counsellor to join the Mental Health and Substance Use team in Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Concurrent Disorders Counsellor with VCH, you will:
- Provide screening and assessment services to clients.
- Identify the existence of concurrent disorders including mental health and/or substance abuse problems; conduct substance abuse, psychiatric, bio-psycho-social assessments, mental status examination and case formulations.
- Develop and implement outcome orientated treatment plans that cover both mental health and substance use disorders.
- Provide treatment services to clients including individual, group, couples and family therapy and education according to theoretical models.
- Facilitate a women’s-only addiction day treatment program.
- Collaborate with others to facilitate the management of cases; coordinate care using a supportive case management approach within the principles of harm reduction.
- Participate in case conferences/meetings with members of the multidisciplinary team for identification and management of client mental health issues.
- Participate in developing and providing education services and contributes to program development in order to meet the needs of the population with concurrent disorders.
- Collaborate, consult and provide clinical support and education to colleagues for continuity of care, treatment concerns, specialized services and community resource coordination.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in an Allied Health Discipline from a recognized program.
- Three (3) years’ recent related experience providing professional services to individuals who have substance abuse and mental health illness including experience working in a women’s only treatment program or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of psychotherapeutic and counselling skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in day treatment service delivery.
- Comprehensive experience in running group treatment programming both process and psyco-educational in content.
- Comprehensive knowledge of working with women in addiction’s treatment and a thorough understanding of the unique challenges and bio-psych-social issues that can affect this population.
- Broad knowledge of healthcare and community services available to women.
- Broad knowledge of bio-psycho-social issues that may occur in response to changing mental health and alcohol and/or other drug needs.
- Broad knowledge of mental health and substance abuse disorders and their interaction.
- Broad knowledge of psychopharmacology.
- Broad knowledge of legislation, government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and facilitate the development of an integrated system of addiction and mental health services, including working with specialty substance abuse and mental health agencies, and other related professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to gather relevant information to make a multi-dimensional substance misuse and mental health assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete a psychiatric assessment, case formulation and, in consultation with the client, to create a treatment plan that addresses both substance misuse and any level of mental disorder.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a variety of theoretical models to practice in assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond appropriately to emergent situations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with clients, colleagues, referral sources, medical personnel, and community agency personnel.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.