Construction Litigation Assistant - 9 Month Contract - Toronto
Your new company
Hays Specialist Recruitment has partnered with a leading Law Firm based in the Financial District of Toronto. We are looking to hire a Litigation Assistant on a 9 Month maternity leave contract. This candidate will be working out of their Downtown Toronto office (King/Yonge).
Your new role
- Preparing legal documents from written, oral and taped instructions and precedents.
- Drafting routine correspondence on behalf of lawyers.
- Entering dockets and preparing accounts.
- Transcription of dictations including statements of claim, statements of defence, factum, etc.
- Applying proofreading and editing skills to documents and correspondence.
- Obtaining information and instructions from clients and forwarding to lawyer.
- Assisting in management of lawyer's practice, i.e., opening files, arranging meetings, scheduling hearing dates with government bodies and/or representatives, arranging travel and/or accommodations.
- Managing bring forward system and keeping lawyer apprised of matters in office.
- Assembly of affidavits, motion records, factums and books of authorities.
- Drafting of basic pleadings.
- Coordinating with process servers regarding service and filing of court materials.
- Coordinating with court offices regarding trial and motions bookings and related court material filings.
- Drafting cover/service letters and coordinating delivery of documents.
- Coordinating and monitoring administrative functions to ensure completion of work accurately and within established time frames.
- Provide support to other lawyers and staff as required and requested.
What you'll need to succeed
- College Diploma in Legal Administration.
- A minimum of 3 years previous experience as a litigation assistant. Experience in construction and/or commercial litigation.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Internet applications and digital dictation software.
- Ability to work under pressure, be flexible and adapt to changing situations easily
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, meet deadlines and exhibit sound judgment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
- Exceptional communication skills.
What you'll get in return
This position is offering $50,000 - $55,000 annual salary.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.