The SPE Calgary Section is a non-profit association with 5,000 members and 100+ active volunteers.
The SPE Section Coordinator role provides administrative and event support to the SPE Calgary Section leaders, volunteers, and committees, and includes the planning and execution of section activities. The role also offers significant opportunity for technical advancement, networking, and professional development by engaging with the local SPE community and events. This is a Contract, Part-time (up to 30 hours per week) role.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. (Other duties may be assigned)
Coordinates all Calgary Section events which include:
- Logistics, contracts, venues
- Scheduling and volunteer management
- Registration and payments
- On-site event management
Administrates updates to the Calgary section websites
- Manages Section event registration system
- Manage the Section’s website to ensure accurate and up to date information
Prepares weekly section emails and other communications with section members
- Liaises between the SPE Calgary Section, SPE Canada, and members/public
- Conducts orientation of new officers and volunteers
- Represents the SPE Calgary Section at events and conferences
- Address questions/issues from members/public
Provides administrative support to the Section officers and committees. Supports board committee activities as follows:
o Accounting/Financial: provides bookkeeping and reporting for all finances and events and issues invoices/refunds.
o Programs/Events: administers registration system, post all events on the website, manage scheduling between venues/committee/volunteers, track costs and attendance for all events.
o Marketing/Communications: ensure websites and email newsletters are relevant, current and concise.
o Sponsorship: provides customer service to potential sponsors, ensure all invoices and requests are prioritized and addressed in a timely manner.
o Recognition: works with the committee to recognize award recipients (emails, slideshows, gift selection, etc.).
o Other Committees: support as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- 2-3 years event coordination experience
- Non-profit and/or volunteer management experience
- Knowledge of the oil and gas industry
- Excellent customer service and communication abilities
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Moderate/above average proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, Word, and Outlook
- Degree preferred but a combination of post-secondary education and experience will be considered
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Customer service and volunteer-oriented
- Skilled communicator
- Tech savvy (website mgmt., social media, and database)
- Knowledge of the oil and gas industry
- Detail oriented
- Skilled in MS Office Suite
An excellent command of oral and written English is essential. Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write business correspondence.
At SPE, we feel it is important to find employees who are a match for our culture. Employees who reflect these values will find themselves more at ease and better able to thrive within our environment.
- Accountability & Integrity
- Global Mindset
- Forward Thinking and Open to New Ideas
- Member Orientation
- Open Communications
- Safety Mindset
- Strive for Excellence
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.