DDC / Building Automation Controls (BAS) Controls Supervisor for the Greater Toronto Area with:
1. Working knowledge of HVAC DDC/ building automation control system installations, programming, graphical user interfaces, system integrations, start-up, checkout and commissioning.
2. Experience with HVAC DDC / building automation control system field services and troubleshooting.
3. Ability to supervise small crews of technicians and/or electricians through completion of various projects and service work.
4. Ability to read and understand electrical, mechanical and control drawings.
5. At least 5 years’ experience with BAS systems and related HVAC, Mechanical and Electrical systems.
The ideal candidate must possess extensive HVAC systems, BAS project and control system knowledge:
- Must have leadership and organizational experience with a strong “take charge” mindset.
- Must be able to interpret technical drawings, blueprints and specifications as well as assist with estimation/design and implementation of select projects and service contracts.
- Must be able obtain a minimum government security clearance and pass a background investigation.
- Insurable, with a valid G drivers licence and able to drive company van or truck if required.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including some night and evening work
- Experience with multiple HVAC DDC/ building automation controls products and tools.
Experience with Andover, Siemens, Johnson Controls Metasys, Honeywell, Alerton, Invensys, Automated Logic Controls, Distech, Schneider SmartStruxture, Trane and/or Tridium/Niagara.
The BAS Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing the start-up and commissioning of projects assigned by the Project Manager / Project Engineer.
This includes performing point-to-point checkout procedures, completing project commissioning documentation, downloading application software, performing software/hardware calibration required for proper equipment and system operation.
This position also includes maintaining on-going project as-built documentation, archival of project user files and performing warranty related service calls. Additionally, the BAS Supervisor will work closely with our estimators and installation electricians to coordinate work with them to ensure projects are completed on time and per code, standards and contract requirements.
1) Project & Crew Supervision
a) Manage small teams of technicians and/or electricians.
b) Adhere to all occupational health and safety laws and building practices and codes.
c) Track work of those supervising with site signed work tickets and material requisitions.
d) Purchasing and procurement of materials, equipment tools and sub-contractors.
2) Project Start-up & Commissioning
a) Oversee the execution of point to point checkout of hardwired Inputs/Outputs to ensure proper installation per the Engineering Drawings and per specifications.
b) Provides feedback to the installation electricians and Project Manager to ensure the installation is complete on time and per codes, specifications and company standards.
c) Completes project commissioning with proper commissioning sheets and system documentation per corporate procedures and standards with minimal supervision.
d) Performs on-site testing of the application programming to ensure the sequences of operation function per specifications, and checks on-line operation of the graphical user interface to ensure proper graphical representations are used and the dynamic variables are displaying correct values.
e) Completes each assigned project focusing on customer satisfaction and specification compliance while trying to maintain budgetary guidelines as defined first by the estimate and then the re-estimate.
3) Project Documentation
a) Maintains working as -built drawings and documentation during the project and provides this documentation to the Project Manager along with constructive feedback regarding the project. This information along with completed commissioning documentation will be incorporated into the as-built/O&M manuals required for completion of the project.
b) Maintains a copy of the up-to-date user files and when the project commissioning is completed, archives the latest copy on the company server per corporate procedures.
c) Maintains written documentation on all project issues that could result in change orders, cost impact items, equipment damage, safety infractions, incomplete system functions and exceptions to the contract documents. Identifies such issues on a timely basis and communicates promptly to the Project Manager. Properly identifies change order circumstances and relays to the Project Manager / Project Engineer.
d) Submits completed time and expense sheets in a timely manner to the Project Manager / Project Engineer in accordance with company policy/procedure.
- 5-7 years field experience in the controls industry including DDC Systems commissioning, software operation, and calibration.
- 2 or more years in a supervisory position leading teams of technicians.
- PREFERRED: 2- or 4- year technical degree plus industry-related technical and management courses. Additional experience and technical training/certifications may be substituted for the degree.
- ALSO PREFERRED: experience with pneumatic controls.
- Knowledgeable in DDC control theory and applications pertaining to the HVAC industry.
- Knowledge with network equipment, cabling and their environments.
- Skilled in use of personal computer with Microsoft Office 365 or the equivalents used by customers.
- Experience with the Tridium Niagara and Andover Continuum product line is preferred.
- Knowledgeable in construction contracting industry with specific emphasis in mechanical/electrical fields and specific experience on construction projects.
- Able to be exposed to dust and the elements while working outside.
- Able to work effectively while exposed to heights (with appropriate fall protection).
- Able to work effectively while remaining in static positions and/or in confined spaces for duration of shift.
- Able to visit job construction hard hat areas and climb stairs; maneuver in and around pipe work and air ducts; and work safely in close proximity to exposed line voltage and low voltage wiring and terminations.
- Possess valid motor vehicle license and possess safe driving record as required by Net Electric’s insurance carrier.
- Communicate effectively with teammates and clients in English (written, verbal and aural).