director – business planning
Essar Steel Algoma Inc. (doing business as “Algoma”)
105 West Street Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada P6A 7B4
Location of work (Same as Business Address)
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The Director – Business Planning is required to provide a structured decision-making process that balances customer demand with supply constraints to achieve revenue, margin and customer satisfaction goals. The Business Planning department exists to effectively integrate Sales, Manufacturing and customer needs to meet customer expectations in an evolving market by providing superior service that satisfies customer needs, while working within Algoma’s internal constraints.
- Lead the distribution of scorecards reflecting the sales and operational effectiveness of the supply chain.
- Drive the implementation of Manufacturing Execution Systems, Scheduling Systems and all other digitization projects in the areas of S&OP, Production Planning, Customer Services and Shipping.
- Monitor and report operational and financial constraints throughout the supply chain.
- Meet regularly with key leaders from Sales, Inventory Management, Logistics, Operations and Finance to communicate actual performance, identify issues and coordinate future activities for optimal execution.
- Oversee the regular forecast consensus process, blending statistical forecast with business objectives of the Executive Committee inclusive of both sales and operations.
- Oversee both the Logistics and Shipping Services departments.
- Lead the development, maintenance and management of end-to-end business planning processes.
- Monitor and report on forecast accuracy for optimal performance.
- Establish business policies for effective management of inventory and alignment with the plan.
- Collaborate with the Production Planning group to produce and oversee analytical projects and ad-hoc analysis needed to support the Inventory management team.
- Define inventory and in stock targets by directing consensus management with the commercial and finance teams.
- Develop, maintain and demonstrate advanced systems and design knowledge in order to build integrated systems and business processes.
- Develop and maintain high level knowledge on forecast methods and process development.
- Develop, maintain and demonstrate detailed knowledge of data sources in the company for ad-hoc analysis and report design.
- Apply modeling, forecasting and statistical tools to audit performance and to identify areas for improvement.
- Lead problem solving groups to provide department with insightful and thorough analysis. Teams will provide recommendation and may be asked to implement recommendations upon review of analysis.
- Provide benchmarking analysis and process reviews to measure and track supply chain performance versus department standards. Make recommendations to adjust standards where benchmarks indicate opportunities to improve.
- Promote and provide a safe work place and support the implementation of the department’s health & safety program.
- Ensure department activities comply with the company’s Corporate Policies and Guidelines and applicable legislation.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of related experience preferably in an integrated steel producing environment.
· Must have an MBA, P. Eng. or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
· Must have extensive experience with end to end Manufacturing Execution Systems.
· Must have extensive experience with the implementation of Planning and Scheduling systems.
· Strong organizational skills are required in order to complete multi-tasks within restrictive time frames. Experience working in a team atmosphere is required.
· Requires excellent communication skills.
· Requires strong problem solving skills as well as the ability to identify and initiate opportunities for improvement.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.orgHelp, referencing the job title in the subject line.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
Terms of Employment: Permanent Full Time Position
Language Requirement: Speak, Read & Write English
Work week: 40 hours
Salary per Annum: $200,000 - $250,000
Other incentives:Performance Bonus
Benefits Package: Extended Health Benefits package includes Medical and Dental and a Defined Contribution Pension PlanVacation: Two (2) Weeks
Contact Information: Teresa D’Angelo
Operating Number: 132470642RP0005