JOB TITLE: Director of Finance and Administration
DEPARTMENT: Accounting and Finance
REPORTS TO: President
DIRECT REPORTS: Accountant, Costing Analyst, Human Resources Coordinator,
Accounts Payable Coordinator, Administrative Assistant
JOB TYPE:Permanent, Full-Time
MARSAN FOODS, is a Canadian-owned food manufacturing company founded in 1970. With facilities in Scarborough, Marsan serves customers within casual dining, retail grocery, healthcare and airline sectors. Marsan has a platinum award under Canada’s Best Managed Companies.
The scope of this role is to manage the accounting and finance functions and oversee the computer and office technologies. This includes but is not limited to managing the accounting system, the annual budget process, the annual external audit, supervising accounting and human resource staff and ensuring that the company-wide computer systems and office technologies effectively support the operations of the Company.
- Oversees the implementation of proper accounting policies, procedures and costing methods.
- Ensures the Company’s assets are adequately protected through insurance and internal controls.
- Directs the month end accounting procedures, prepares and processes the month end adjustments and prepares the monthly financial statements.
- Ensures that all statutory reports (corporate tax returns, GST returns, WSIB returns, EHT returns, Statistical Reports) are prepared and submitted prior to the deadlines.
- Supervises the preparation of biweekly payroll, reviews the payroll register and monthly posts of the payroll to the general ledger.
- Administers the Company’s group RRSP and insurance plans.
- Coordinates the year end audit and supervises the preparation of the account analyses required by auditors.
- Oversees the preparation of the annual budget, including the consolidation of budgets submitted by other Directors and prepares the projected cash flow and balance sheet budgets based on the operating budget.
- Monitors financial plans and forecasts.
- Reviews the cash position of the Company, including the line of credit and transfers between the US and Canadian bank accounts, and arranges for additional financing as required.
- Acts as the primary contact with the Company’s bankers, insurance brokers and computer technology contacts.
- Participates in corporate short and long-term planning.
- Ensures that the accounting department is adequately staffed. This includes hiring and disciplining staff in accordance with the Company policies.
- Ensures that the computer and office technologies are up to date and maintained.
- Provides technical expertise in accounting and computer technology to the department members.
Education: University degree and a professional accounting designation required
Experience:A minimum of 10 years of relevant financial experience, at least part of which must be in a manufacturing environment
Software: Advanced knowledge of ERP and Microsoft Excel
Knowledge: Inventory/cost accounting, computer technology including networks and systems, human resources and related legislation
Competencies: A hands-on, take charge financial professional with strong financial and analytical skills, commitment to accuracy, attention to detail, integrity and dependability. Proven ability to train, motivate and lead staff.
Marsan Foods welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.