As one of the largest automotive suppliers in the world - Magna International is committed to delivering product and process innovations through our world-class manufacturing operations that combine our unique design, engineering and program management expertise. At the heart of our operating structure is a powerful entrepreneurial culture and Fair Enterprise philosophy, which builds ownership and inspires pride in our employees.
Magna Closures & Mirrors, an operating unit of Magna International, is a world leading supplier that offers innovative closure systems and modules, as well as a variety of exterior and interior mirror systems, to the global automotive industry. Our focus is on developing technically sophisticated and economically viable products in order to satisfy our customers at any time.
The Electrical/Hardware Engineer is responsible for developing, designing and improving existing and new automotive products for our Closures Engineering Group. Magna Closures is one of the world's leading suppliers of innovative latching and closure systems. Our capabilities include product creation, design, engineering, testing and validation of closure modules and mechanisms. Our products are technology-driven and focused on safety, driver assistance, and comfort and convenience.
This position is located in our Troy, Michigan or Newmarket, Ontario facility.
- Generally assigned to increasingly complex components, sub-assemblies and systems, e.g. may be responsible for changes based on new requirements, or may contribute to the application of new technology
- Coordinates the complete development for the designated products including, but not limited to schematic, printed circuit assemblies, circuit analysis and test activities
- Incorporates customer requirements, regulations and product specifications into the design of the designated products, ensuring compliance with Magna Closures development Process, operational, cost, timing, safety, reliability, quality, and manufacturing feasibility parameters
- Analyzes products and formulates engineering conclusions by the application of engineering and/or mathematical principles and tools. Applies QFD, FEA, FMEA, DOE, VA/VE and DFM/DFA, PSPICE, Altium/Cadence EDA, as required in the development of the product. Has expert level circuit analysis and troubleshooting skills.
- Will be required to design, build, test and debug electronic assemblies and systems
- Uses system analysis tools (LabVIEW, programmers, oscilloscopes, meters, analyzers, etc.) to evaluate system performance
- Has working knowledge of electronic circuit board manufacturing and typically interfaces and coordinates the activities of contract manufacturers for the fabrication and test of electronic products
- Make component level design decisions. Has a broad based knowledge of suppliers and components/suppliers available as well as the technology trends
- Writes/compiles engineering content for the following deliverables: Product Specification, Schematic, Bill of Materials, Printed Circuit Design, Testing Plan, DVP&R's, 8D's, GD&T, prototype control plans, key product characteristics, engineering changes and work orders.
- Consults and collaborates with personnel in various engineering and design activities relative to product development requirements in order to create/support robust design methods to eliminate prior campaign failure modes
- Conducts effective communications within the project team and the customer, supplier, manufacturing and quality communities with minimal guidance from engineering management and senior engineering personnel as necessary. Maintains all appropriate documentation
- Works to support and drive best practices in design specifications, manufacturing processes, customer requirements, and safety requirements
- Creates, reviews and approves engineering direction and designs to ensure key deliverables are met (i.e. cost targets, timing, safety, reliability, quality, and manufacturing feasibility parameters).
- Reviews, approves, completes, and submits required change notices to ensure design outputs meet design inputs
- Independently prioritizes the completion of tasks and resolution of issues to ensure compliance to Customer requirements and program deliverables. Contributes to the development of project timing
- Understands and follows existing policies, procedures, work instructions and standards and makes recommendations for continuous improvements
Knowledge and Education
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5-10 years diversified engineering experience, preferably some experience in product segment
- Experienced with EMC.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to open and review CAD models; perform basic manipulation (sectioning, measuring, image capture, etc.) independently; proficiency with Altium; PCB Layout.
- Able to create test plans that exhibit advanced application of reliability/confidence principles, customer specifications, internal specifications and sound Engineering judgement.
- Fundamental knowledge of manufacturing & assembly process
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully complete multiple tasks within established and changing deadlines
- Ability to review, manage and release prints
- Proficient with MS Office, project management and database software applications
- Ability to manage customers, suppliers, etc. to achieve program deliverables
- Proficient with industry standard processes like APQP, 8D, DFM/DFA, TS, SPC, DFSS, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills: verbal and written
- Is able to authoritatively present technical information in a clear and persuasive manner, and can negotiate effectively in an important situation
- Demonstrate successful performance with independent problem solving and presentations
Conditions may cause minor stress or physical discomfort due to limited exposure to elements or frequent exposure to moderately disagreeable internal or external conditions. Typical conditions are such that a minor risk of injury or harmful effect is possible to self or others.
Normal amount of sitting or standing, average mobility to move around an office environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer.
May require domestic/international travel.