The Environmental Remediation Program executes remedial activities that reduce legacy liabilities at the Chalk River Laboratories. This work is carried out in four phases (site characterization, remediation assessment and planning, execution of remediation and project close-out) under the supervision of Environmental Remediation Specialists. As a member the remediation team, the Technical Illustrator plays a key role in creating, preparing, managing and manipulating data for schematics and maps that supports the analysis, reporting and decision making within Environmental Remediation.
The Environmental Remediation Technical Illustrator will be responsible for the following:
Preparing and maintaining, with a high degree of accuracy, base drawings for environmental remediation projects.
Preparing draft designs of schematics and maps using computer-aided programs to support environmental characterization reports and to support remediation planning.
Creating, managing and manipulating various kinds of data, e.g., point files (GPS/survey point data), shape files, geodatabases (ArcGIS), and terrain data (Lidar).
Preparing detailed drawings and complex figures using CAD to provide area and volume estimates.
Carrying out revision of drawings with only verbal or rough sketches provided.
Using the environmental database EQuiS to obtain data for drafting purposes.
Reviewing and formatting data obtained from environmental investigations and uploading data to CRL's Environmental Data Management System (EDMS).
Assisting in the creation of field forms using EQuIS Data Gathering Engine (EDGE)
Graduation from a recognized institute of advanced technology in environmental science, chemistry, or equivalent formal education and a minimum of three years pertinent drafting experience.
• Proficient in AutoCAD/GIS, producing clear and accurate drawings in reasonable time.
• Working knowledge of and experience in environmental concepts (e.g. drafting excavation locations, geologic cross-sections, ground water flow direction and contours, soil sample locations and contaminant contours is an asset;
• The ability to develop skills and willingness to complete training to develop skills to become proficient in various software (e.g. Hydro GeoAnalyst)
• Experience with developing 3D conceptual models is an asset;
• Working knowledge and experience working with databases;
• Ability to perform work with minimal supervision;
• Above average communication skills, both written and verbal, along with tact and good judgement; Strong commitment to teamwork;