Food Technologist - New Products
Apex Life Sciences is searching for an experienced Product Developer (Food Technologist - New Products) to develop new products and modify existing product lines. Our client is a food manufacturer of frozen meals located in Brampton, ON. We have several, 4-8 Month contract openings with a strong likelihood of extending. Candidates will require a vehicle to travel to customer sites as necessary.
Development of new frozen food products and the improvement of current products.
- Develop recipes for new products including investigating new ingredients, testing ingredients in new recipes, creating product samples, and comparing the designs against competitive products.
- Organize product specifications including ingredient declarations, nutritional info, product name, costs, etc. to satisfy customer product requirements and customer regulatory requirements. Uses Genesis software.
- Prepare samples for customer presentations and participate in product cuttings providing support to Sales & Marketing.
- Input formulae into standardized excel formats.
- Conducting internal sensory evaluation of products.
- Participating in the creation of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintain inventory for the lab; ordering, receiving, storing and distributing lab supplies and materials, ensuring appropriate inventory rotation.
- Ongoing maintenance of recipes/formulations, methodologies and specifications
- Conduct R&D on current products to monitor shelf life, nutritional analysis, regulatory compliance, compliance to product standards and performance.
- Source alternative ingredients and alternative suppliers to existing ingredients to expand the supplier base, achieve cost savings or improve product shelf life.
- Post secondary education in food science, nutrition, and / or culinary science
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Cooking skills and nutritional knowledge
- Knowledge of food ingredients and ability to assess quality (sensory evaluation)
- Mathematical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Good computer skills with strong Excel skills
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to vehicle
- 1 to 5 years of related experience
- Combination of culinary experience and product development experience in a food manufacturing facility preferred