National Silicates, an affiliate of PQ Corporation, requires a highly motivated Safety and Health Specialist with excellent analytical, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills to support our Canadian operations.
The full-time position is located at our Toronto Plant.
The position reports to the HSE Manager.
Essential Job Duties:
· Provide direct safety and health support to several facilities in Canada, including British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec. Other travel outside Canada may be needed.
· Provide support in the management of our Responsible Care Management System.
· Provide technical support to front line leadership on matters related to occupational safety and loss prevention.
· Conduct field and site inspections to enforce adherence to laws, regulations and employer policies governing occupational safety and environmental compliance.
· Develop and manage initiatives to promote a proactive Safety and Health culture, including processes designed to increase employee involvement, education, and recognition by participation in safety committees, incident investigations, training, occupational health matters and compliance auditing.
· Investigate incidents and non-compliance events to determine contributing factors and recommend remedial action to prevent reoccurrence.
· Develop and deliver regulatory required training related to safety and health.
· Act as a resource to the JHSCs.
· Additional responsibilities and changes in responsibilities may be made at the discretion of the HSE Manager.
· University degree in Engineering or Science.
· CRSP designation or currently in the process of acquiring it.
· A minimum of 3-5 years safety and health experience in a manufacturing environment.
· Strong interpersonal, communication, and computer skills.
· Excellent knowledge of federal, provincial, and local safety and health regulations.
· Ability to travel on a frequent basis.
· Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset.
· Must be proficient in serving as a change agent within the operating environment and working with the organization/management to improve safety and health performance
· Ability to address and solve complex safety and health issues from a universal perspective.
· Must be an independent, self-motivated individual with the ability to multi-task and administer a broad range of duties including; resolving concerns, counseling employees and providing technical interpretation of policies and procedures
· Ability to perform physical inspections of all work areas.
· Ability to coach, teach and counsel and be comfortable speaking to groups. Must be able to work independently without day-to-day supervision.
· Must be proficient in recognizing and reducing health and safety risk. Must be comfortable in dealing with safety and health issues in the operating environment and working with all levels of employees (from front-line employees to senior management).
· Ability to provide flexible judgement and solutions to concerns and/or opportunities.
· Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel; knowledge of federal and provincial safety regulations, protocols and/or procedures.
· Ability to work in a matrix environment and influence / motivate diverse teams to achieve a unified goal.
The Company offers competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.