Reporting to the Director, Enterprise Information Management, the Manager is responsible for providing leadership, direction and management to the Coding team in accordance with the Hospital's mission, vision and strategic plan. The Manager is also responsible for supporting the Director, EIM and Clinical Document Improvement Specialists on the development, implementation and measurement of the Clinical Document Improvement initiative.
The Manager works cohesively and collaboratively with all programs and services, physicians, other various disciplines within the Health Care setting and other regulatory governing entities such as the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, Cancer Care Ontario, the Canadian Institute for Health Information, etc.
Here's What You'll Get To Do
- Works with Coding staff to ensure the delivery of quality and timely data for internal and external reporting requirement to support the effective care delivery and management of patient care at the Hospital
- Works collaboratively with the Director, EIM, programs, physicians, Finance, and Decision Support to ensure collection and timely production of quality data to support operations, strategy, and optimization
- Plans, assigns, directs audits and monitors the work of staff performing Coding as appropriate. Develops and/or approves staff schedules; analyzes and distributes staff assignments and workload; evaluates employee performance, recommends and implements employee disciplinary actions as appropriate; responds to grievances and complaints; initiates and coordinates staff selection and training processes; ensures that staff activities comply with organizational expectations
- Monitor productivity against benchmarks and making recommendations on improving accuracy and efficiencies
- Develop and monitor data quality/accuracy audits and implement quality improvement activities
- Supports the Director, EIM and CDI specialist(s) in planning, design, implementation, measurement and evaluation and oversight of the Clinical Documentation Improvement initiative
- Conducts hiring interviews, makes hiring recommendations prepares and conducts orientation and training of new Coding staffand works collaboratively with Employee Relations and Human Resources
- Promotes Clinical Document Improvement awareness throughout the organization by providing training, education and development of procedures that are widely disseminated and available to all staff
- Prepares and administers assigned budgets; monitors, evaluates and approves expenditures within limits of authority; analyses staffing needs; performs costs/benefit analyses as appropriate; plans and estimates future costs including capital expenditures as appropriate; justifies requests for equipment and personnel
- Participates in organizational strategic planning activities to ensure the delivery of comprehensive and coordinated coding and transcription health services; serves on committees and task forces to address specific issues and/or represent the department as assigned; attends meetings and conferences as assigned
- Develop, conduct and participate in hospital–wide education with respect to the HIG methodology and ICD-10, HBAM & QBPs, etc. and serve as a resource
- To represent the hospital and participate actively as a Member of the Canadian Paediatric Decision Support Network to exchange information with other Canadian Paediatric facilities
- Oversees the preparation and maintenance of Coding and Transcription documentation and information in order to comply with administrative policies as well as legal regulations
- Develops standardization and metrics to ensure unified data information as well as efficient and effective and secure information assets
- Structures a process and a set of tools for leading staff through change to achieve future state goals
- As an influential leader you will have the ability to shape the development of business strategies and policies and elicit cooperation from key stake holders
- Conducts special studies and projects as assigned
- Focus on support utilization and optimization of e-Health technologies
- Prepares and provides to the Director, Enterprise Information Management monthly summary activity reports
- Maintain up to date policies, procedures and job descriptions
- Maintains professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing networks and benchmarking state of the art practices and recommending system improvements
- Assists the Director, Enterprise Information Management in implementing electronic health records
- Assists the Director, Enterprise Information Management in providing data to the clinical teams
Here's What You'll Need
- College Diploma in Health Information Management
- Active Certification with Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA)
- Minimum two years as Supervisor or Coordinator of Health Records Services in a computerized operation or an equivalent combination of education or experience
- Advanced operational knowledge of the HIG methodology and experience leading associated targeted data quality / quality assurance audits (Flagged Interventions, MRDx assignment, etc.)
- Proficiency in the use of computers including word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, Grouper/Report Writer software, CMG/RIW applications, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, coupled with interpersonal skills and proven ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision; able to work under pressure and deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines with the highest degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated success in design, development, and implementation of organization-wide processes; excellent time management skills and practice project management methodologies
- Ability to work with various disciplines including physicians, regulated health professionals, academic institutions, MOHLTC and LHIN
- Self-motivated and can work both independently and as a team player
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Permanent, Full-time. This position offers full benefits including health and dental coverage, vacation time, sick time, personal days, LTD, life insurance and the opportunity to participate in the SickKids Pension plan.
Open until filled.