|Job Title:||Mental Health Emergency Services Nurse (RPN/RN)|
|Work Site:||Mental Health Adult, Powell River Mental Health - Powell River, BC|
|Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Salary:||$35.53 - $46.65 per hour|
Come work as a Mental Health Emergency Services Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) in Powell River, BC!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Mental Health Emergency Services Nurse to join the Mental Health Adult team in Powell River, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health Emergency Services Nurse with VCH you will:
- Provide psychiatric care to clients that includes assessment, crisis intervention and stabilization, care planning and short term community case management and outreach.
- Provide liaison support for patient care and patient flow between the program, Emergency Department, the Psychiatric Inpatient Unit, first responders and community providers.
- Provide input into the care of psychiatric patients awaiting transfer for further assessment or inpatient admission.
- Perform emergency response duties such as:
- Providing emergency mobile crisis response as required;
- Facilitating immediate hospital or detox facility admission if deemed necessary;
- Initiating and participating in case conferences and case management meetings;
- Preparing and maintaining client records and providing consultative and direct services/care to clients, families, community health professionals/agencies, law enforcement, physicians and Emergency Room staff.
- Participate in team meetings, continuing education, conferences, and/or corporate initiatives and engages in on-going team planning, development, evaluation and quality improvement activities.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
ABOUT POWELL RIVER, BC
On the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, where endless green mountains meet sheltered Pacific Ocean waters, Powell River provides a stimulating blend of outdoor adventure and cultural amenities. Originally founded as a resource extraction centre - once home to the world's largest pulp and paper mill - Powell River now offers adventurers countless opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, golfing, boating, hiking, biking, fishing, and scuba diving. This area is host to world-class art galleries, tremendous dining opportunities, and memorable events and festivals.
On the doorstep of both Vancouver and Vancouver Island, the Powell River region offers an array of experiences for travelers of all kinds, no matter the season. Experience the legendary Sunshine Coast Trail and Powell Forest Canoe Route, rock-climb the Eldred Valley, snowshoe in the Knuckleheads; this is the adventure destination you've long been waiting for.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Three (3) years’ recent related experience providing treatment services to individuals within the designated client population with mental health and substance use issues or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel will require the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to clients with severe and persistent psychiatric illness:
- Demonstrated knowledge of concurrent disorders, substance use and abuse, harm reduction strategies including assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of conceptual models of psychiatric care including: person and family centered care, trauma-informed care, recovery model in mental illness and psychosocial rehabilitation methodology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact of social, cultural and family systems on health outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments and interventions such as facilitating group process, conflict resolution, crisis interventions, individual and group counselling.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans and anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and delivery of educational programs and materials for clients and families based on education theories, principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in performing autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.