Payroll and Benefits Specialist
- Accurately processes bi‐weekly and hourly payroll using ADP and Ceridian system.
- Responding to employees’ payroll related inquiries.
- Completes payroll reconciliation; refers to all related reports such as payroll register, payroll journal entries, and T4s.
- Prepares for, and reconciles the payroll month‐end, year‐end and year‐begin processes, including accurate and timely reconciliation of earnings and statutory deductions / remittances.
- Develops detailed procedures for the preparation, documentation and disbursement of all payroll cheques/direct deposits, annual T4s, payroll taxes, employee benefit payments, garnishments, commissions and bonus payouts.
- Ensures T4s and W2s are prepared accurately and issued to employees in a timely fashion.
- Completes annual reconciliations and returns for Employment Health Tax (EHT) and WSIB.
- Ensures various government / company deductions and remittances are completed and remitted according to legislative requirements.
- Performs regular payroll audits to ensure overall data integrity; researches issues and ensures that corrections are made as required.
- Provides payroll information and amounts to Finance for payment approval and final processing.
- Completes other accounting and finance functions and reporting as required.
- Provides orientation, direction and ongoing support to employees in regards to payroll and benefits; familiarizes employees with Company policies, procedures, vision and values.
- Accurately enrolls, enters and maintains new applications / enrollments, employee changes, salary updates and terminations related to the employee lifecycle.
- Prepares accurate and detailed reports (e.g. vacation balance, headcount, absenteeism, performance appraisal completion rates).
- Creates and maintains active and terminated employee files; including filing documentation accurately and completing data entry (both paper and electronic).
- Works closely with HR service providers to administer all benefit enrollments, terminations and revisions for eligible employees.
- Tracks benefits and eligibility for employees and ensures timely enrollment / payroll deductions; proactively contacts employees approaching eligibility dates.
- Administers the Rewards & Recognition program (e.g. Years of Service).
- Administers long term disability and Workplace Safety and Insurance Board claims; coordinates return to work programs as required.
- Administers profit sharing and Health Care Spending Programs.
- Completes other human resources functions and reporting as required.
- A bachelor's degree in a field such as Business Administration, Human Resources, or Accounting.
- Minimum of 3 years' working experience using ADP an Ceridian system.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification and/or Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification (completion of or working towards the certifications)
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships, internal and external to the organization.
- Strong knowledge of payroll systems, internal controls, and management.
- Advanced proficiency with accounting software and payroll programs and applications.
- Experience in managing the processing of salaries, bonuses, commissions, and other forms of compensation.
- Knowledge of audits, income tax forms, profit sharing programs, health benefits programs, sick pay, retirement plans, and so on.