Job DescriptionJob Title: Polysomnographic TechnologistWork Site: Sleep Program, UBC Hospital - Vancouver, BCStatus: Regular Part Time (0.57 FTE)Start Date: As soon as possibleSalary: $31.36 - $39.10 per hourHours:
Days off: RotatingReference#: 131025-aca
Come work as a Polysomnographic Technologist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Polysomnographic Technologist to join the Sleep Program at UBC Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Polysomnographic Technologist with VCH you will:
- Perform polysomnograms for the diagnosis and treatment of sleep/arousal disorders, including the management of nasal positive airway pressure titration for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
- Perform duties including:
- receiving requisitions,
- entering relevant data into a computerized database,
- preparing patients for specific studies,
- conducting various tests involving non-invasive techniques including electroencephalography, electrooculography, electromyography, electrocardiography, multiple sleep latency and respiratory tracings,
- monitoring patient during procedures,
- recording measurements,
- formulating technical reports for interpretation by medical staff in clinical diagnosis,
- and monitoring equipment performance.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Diploma in a health care discipline such as respiratory therapy, nursing or electroneurophysiology technology from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of one year’s recent, related experience in sleep study work or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Eligible for registration as a Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT).
- Current certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of evidence-based polysomnographic practice related to conducting various tests, and recording and analyzing a variety of physical parameters on patients involving non-invasive techniques.
- Broad knowledge of polysomnographic theory and practice within a client and family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of the sleep-induced physiological changes in various body systems including the neurological, musculoskeletal, cardiac, and respiratory systems.
- Broad knowledge of the physiological and behavioral alterations associated with sleep/wake pathology.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Broad knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, physicians, other health care staff, clients and their families, both one-on-one and in-groups.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in the interpretation of electroencephalographic, electrooculographic, electromyographic, electrocardiographic, multiple sleep latency tests and respiratory tracings so as to be able to intervene appropriately during a sleep study.
- Demonstrated skill in techniques and the use of a variety of monitoring devices and instrumentation required for sleep studies including electrocardiograph, pulse oximeter, electroencephalograph and electromyography equipment.
- Demonstrated skill and understanding in the use of a variety of ventilator supportive devices such as home ventilators, BIPAP and CPAP.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Computer literacy with word processing, spreadsheet and database skills
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.