Title: Power Engineer
Job Type: Full-time, permanent, represented (Operating Engineers Local 721B)
Location: Debert, NS
Terrapure Environmental is a leading Canadian provider of innovative, cost-effective environmental and industrial services, and recycling solutions that help address industry’s complex environmental challenges. Headquartered in Burlington, Ont., Terrapure employs 2,100 people and operates an integrated network of over 70 locations from coast to coast.
With an unwavering focus on health and safety excellence, the company provides services that minimize waste and maximize the recovery or recycling of valuable by-products through its facility network and field services on customer sites. This includes a used lubricating oil re-refinery in North Vancouver, B.C.; Canada’s largest lead-acid battery recycling operations, with facilities in Mississauga, Ont. and Ville Ste-Catherine, Que.; an engineered non-hazardous industrial waste landfill in Stoney Creek, Ont.; Ontario’s leading biosolids management provider Terratec Environmental; one of Canada’s leading field services providers Envirosystems Incorporated; as well as operations that reduce costs and enhance the environmental sustainability of industry sectors, including automotive; chemical, petro-chemical and refineries; manufacturing; marine; mining; municipal; pulp and paper; and transportation.
For more information, visit www.TERRAPUREenv.com
The Power Engineer is responsible for ensuring that all the equipment is operating correctly in a safe manner. This position is covered under the Operating Engineers Local 721B.
- Monitor and inspect equipment, switches, valves, gauges, alarms, meters and other instruments to measure temperature, pressure and fuel flow, to detect leaks or other equipment malfunctions and to ensure plant equipment is operating normally;
- Operate and maintain the Boiler and Refined Oil processes;
- Operate and maintain the waste water treatment and other plant waste treatment operations;
- Record and maintain records as required;
- Meet the service demands and perform preventive maintenance on the equipment;
- Assist with maintenance planning and repair of equipment;
- Ensure that the equipment is operated in a safe and efficient manner according to written or verbal procedures;
- Troubleshoot and perform corrective action and minor repairs to prevent equipment or systems failure;
- Clean and lubricate generators, turbines, pumps, compressors and perform other routine maintenance work using lubricants and hand tools, electrical and precision;
- Provide isolation, lockouts, clearances and safe work permits on equipment;
- Operate in accordance with all applicable procedures, policies and regulations;
- Maintain good housekeeping practices of all work areas, tools and equipment, adhering to provincial and federal regulations in order to provide a safe and efficient working environment;
- Immediately report any safety concerns and/or infractions;
- Assist with other facility tasks as required.
Experience, Qualifications & Education
- This position requires a 4th Class Power Engineering Certificate and minimum of 1 year of work experience in a heavy industrial environment;
- A minimum of a Class 5 driver’s license;
- A proven ability to capably operate and maintain the Boiler and Refined Oil processes;
- A proven ability to capably operate and maintain the waste water treatment and other plant waste treatment operations;
- The ideal candidate is independent, resourceful and attentive;
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision making skills;
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills;
- Ability to work shift work and within environmental conditions that may be hot, cold, dirty, dusty, wet or noisy;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment;
- Embraces a Safety culture: safety is our highest priority, and safety procedures and guidelines must be adhered to at all times. This includes wearing personal protective equipment.
Terrapure Environmental is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment without discrimination and employ personnel without regard to race, age, gender, or any other protected ground. Our philosophy is to provide fair and equal employment and development opportunities for our employees based on skills and capability.
Terrapure Environmental provides applicants and employees with reasonable accommodation upon request, as may be required.
How to Apply
Please submit your application on-line under Careers at http://www.terrapureenv.com
Thank you for your interest but only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.