Program Director- Workplace Experience-1800010869
You’re an expert in building relationships, thrive in a culture of innovation, have proven to lead design based solutions that encompass large multifaceted groups, have a service mentality and customer-focused thought process, and understand the importance of workplace efficiency and employee motivation. We’re looking for you, a creative problem solver who is motivated to activate our culture by bringing our brand to life.
The Workplace Experience Program Director establishes and directs the Workplace Experience Program, which includes multiple large headquarters based office transformation projects across the bank. The Workplace Experience program and projects are highly complex and large-scale in nature, spanning multiple functions and business groups, and contains multiple inter-related subprojects. The Program Director holds the primary relationships with leaders from both the line of business, and supporting groups (Technology, Corporate Real Estate, and Human Recourses) to ensure a successful business outcome is the prime measure of success. The Program Director ensures that there is coordination across the portfolio of projects and that deliveries are aligned across all these initiatives to obtain the desired business benefits.
The Program Director has a breadth of understanding and functions in partnership across multiple lines of business (coordinating the integration of Corporate Real Estate, Technology, and Human Resources) and is able to facilitate interactions between multiple stakeholders efficiently and effectively. The Program director directs, manages, and coordinates team members (for multiple projects) including project managers, business and technology resources, user groups, internal / external consultants and contractors, as well as vendors and possibly external regulatory organizations.
- With support from the Head of Workplace Experience, directs the Workplace Experience program within multiple lines of business and provides integrated management of subsidiary projects and internal or external stakeholders.
- Typically exercises direct accountability for the Workplace Experience program (including related sub-projects) with 50 team members or more
- Ensures projects are staffed with the right mix of people who exhibit the required perspectives, skills and behaviours. Approves the leadership of any subordinated programs / projects in order to create an effective program leadership team
- Functional management responsibility for up to 7 project managers
- Accountable party for defining, planning, orchestrating, and delivering assigned strategic projects/programs, including all business, operational, and IT deliverables. Ensures cross-program coordination of activities, deliverables and benefits
- Directly leads all aspects of the program lifecycle and works with matrix business, corporate, and IT partners to oversee all phases of the program (including, as applicable, change management, process management, transition to business/operations, system development, quality management, etc.) and ensure the Workplace Experience Program structure is designed to achieve the intended business benefit
- Within the context of the assigned programs, responsible for building and sustaining the day-to-day relationships and communications (including project briefings) with business partners at various levels of the organization, including SVP, VP level, as well as other internal and external resources. Sustains and manages the relationship with the Head of Workplace Experience and Accountable Executive throughout the duration of the initiative by providing sound advice, counsel and support
- Ensures end results are of the highest caliber with a clearly articulated scope and quantifiable business benefit. Provides effective challenge to business owner on viability of benefits in order to ensure the Workplace Experience
- Program is formulated with the highest likelihood of achieving the business vision and strategy. Ensures mechanisms to measure benefits are set up in the program
- Provides leadership, motivation, coaching, and mentoring for the program leadership team in order to ensure subsidiary projects are coordinated to achieve the business vision and scope
Chairs regular program and key governance forums (e.g. Advisory Board Meetings, Steering Committees Tollgates) to review progress with key constituents. Represents the interests of the project and/or program in various
- project governance and inter-department forums, including tollgate meetings. Coaches/advises accountable executives, steering committees on appropriate courses of action.
- Provides program level change leadership to ensure the vision and objectives of the large-scale transformation are driven properly, and ensures change management (the mechanisms of change) are in place to deliver the anticipated program benefits
- Ensures program issues and risks are identified, quantified, managed and tracked. Ensures processes for managing issues and risks across program and associated projects, including escalation processes, are established and followed. Monitors project level issues and risks and ensures relevant sub-project issues are exposed at the program level. Facilitates resolution of core issues between multiple executive stakeholders where required
- Ensures program scope is rigorously managed and that subsidiary project scope contributes to overall program scope and does not dilute the effectiveness of the overall program. Ensures program commitments are achieved within agreed on time, cost, and quality parameters
- Manages overall program budget, and allocates budgets to supporting projects. Ensures overall program spend is managed within approved annual and multi-year budget allocations. Manages contingency funding in support of risk mitigation plans
- Determines and establishes the appropriate program organizational and work breakdown structures (e.g. projects, workstreams) to accomplish program outcomes. Ensures program milestones and schedule accurately reflects the delivery commitments of subsidiary projects. Ensures an overall integrated delivery plan is developed, maintained and communicated
- Ensures development of required program artifacts including program charter, and management plans (resource, risk management, quality management, communications management, etc.), and related PM artifacts, while complying with applicable enterprise standards (e.g. Project Management, Risk, Audit, Compliance, EPMO). Continuously improves program/project processes in order to ensure the best possible business outcome.
- Ensures program level monitoring and control is effectively implemented and controls subsidiary projects, including cross impacts between projects
- Provides Accountable Executive with continued insight in the viability of the business case (e.g. costs, benefits, KPIs) as the program progresses
- Negotiates complex contracts with external vendors (in consultation with Strategic Sourcing) to ensure receipt of specific resources and materials, as well as best value for the Enterprise. Ensures day-to-day vendor relationship management occurs (including monitoring performance, reviewing and approving vendor invoices)
- Contributes to improve the best practices of the project/program management community within the Enterprise to help drive consistency, transparency and execution excellence on all projects
- authority to manage project budget up to value of the approved funding (typically up to $50MM)
- authority to approve selection of project/program team members - People manager for up to 7 project managers
Scope & Impact
- Management authority for delivery of portfolio of projects within a program
- Direct accountability for program leadership team and ability to direct all sub teams. Total impact 50+ team members
- Provides input to performance reviews for all team direct reports
- Control over direct project budgets up to value of ISAP (up to $50MM)
- Program lengths 1 year to 5 years
- Impact to bank operations of all scopes up to global
- Possesses a university degree and/or 12+ years relevant work experience
- Possesses advanced knowledge and 10+ years of experience in project and program management, including managing large-scale projects or programs of significant complexity and value (> $10MM) with high risk
- Industry-specific knowledge and experience is an asset, specifically experience in large scale Workplace Experience initiatives involving corporate real estate (incl. construction), technology, and human resources
- Holding a valid PMP designation from the Project Management Institute (PMI) or other valid program management certification (e.g. Prince 2) is an asset
- Excellent relationship management and consulting skills which results in proven ability to quickly earn the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders, mobilize and motivate teams; set direction and approach, resolve conflict, deliver tough messages with grace, execute with limited information and ambiguity
- Expert change leadership and change management skills
- Expert risk management skills
- Applies an appropriate depth of perception, discernment and judgment to effectively direct a program in a changing and evolving environment
- Excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills, capable of balancing multiple perspectives, effective at all levels up to senior executive
- Sound business and technical acumen, with demonstrated agility in learning and ability to quickly become comfortable with unfamiliar businesses areas or of technologies. Ability to connect programs/projects to broader organizational goals and grasp the key performance drivers of business partners
- Expert presentation, written and verbal communication skills which bring clarity and precision at senior executive levels
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills to recognize and comprehend complex issues, policies, regulatory requirements and industry information affecting the business environment. Seeks opportunities to improve business outcomes
- Exemplary core program and project management skills including multiple aspects of the PMBOK
- Solid knowledge and expertise in the use of program management methodologies (e.g. Prince 2) and tools (e.g. Clarity, MS Project, SharePoint repositories, Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) if applicable)
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
To submit your application for this job, please go to:
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.