As an integral part of the management team, this role leads the Health & Safety agenda, ensures compliance with all relevant legislation and regulations (Ontario Regulation Part IV - TUNNELS, SHAFTS, CAISSONS AND COFFERDAM) and manages the design, delivery, and standardization of the Environmental Health & Safety programs for the company. The position duration is for 5 Years+ Location: Toronto, Ontario – Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant and the North Toronto Treatment Plant area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designated full-time permanent employee must take prescribed COR™ training offered by IHSA,conduct an internal audit of HSMS using IHSA's COR™ Audit Tool and conduct and successfully complete annual internal audits for each of the next two years using IHSA's COR™
- Participates in incident investigation and root-cause analysis of environmental, health and safety incidents, Conducts, reviews, and communicates results of Accident Investigations
- Conduct Hazard Assessments, through task analysis, physical demands analysis, risk assessments and workplace inspections; Recommending and/or implementing corrective action
- Liaise with external agencies including the Ministry of Labour (MOL) and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
- Ensure that all WSIB claims are handled as per best practices and on a timely basis
- Maintains and communicates upgrades of H.S.E. Policies and Procedures to managers, and business leaders. Makes sure policies and procedures are developed, updated, implemented, and followed
- Participate in the subcontractor management process
- Responsible for implementation of safety-related training for both mandated and site-specific topics.
- Provides Technical Guidance on Ontario Regulation Part IV - TUNNELS, SHAFTS, CAISSONS AND COFFERDAMS, Safety regulations, standards and Industry programs.
- Drive continuous improvement of programs through the development of action plans based on analysis of data, review of incidents, risks and feedback from employees.
- At least ten (10) years of supervisory heavy civil construction experience within the last fifteen (15) years.
- Participation in the capacity of a safety coordinator on at least two (2) TBM tunnel projects
- Individuals must possess safety experience in heavy construction and underground construction
- Candidate must be local or willing to relocate to project location in Toronto, Ontario
- Must be willing to work flexible hours and shifts
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record
- Possess strong computer skills: Proficiency in MS Office including MS word, MS Excel and PowerPoint
- Professional certifications required C.H.S.O or N.C.S.O
- Degree or diploma in a related field i.e HSE or OH&S
- Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written formats
- Action oriented and full of energy for things that may seem challenging
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal and external individuals
- Faces up to people problems quickly and directly
- Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all
- Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions
- Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully