The Immersive Lab (IML) at InterDigital is a team of highly motivated, fast paced, and highly skilled researchers and engineers with strong backgrounds in video processing (multiview, volumetric and holographic), computer graphics (real-time rendering, VFX, gaming), mixed realities (AR, VR, XR) and associated user experiences (inc. haptics, HMI, cyber sickness, proper sensation of depth and parallax). The IML lab develops technologies to model humans and world scenes, and then render and animate those assets considering the application and the interactions between the characters and the environment. Interdigital actively participates in state-of-the-art related standards in international standardization organizations such as ISO/IEC/MPEG, ITU-T/SG16, 3GPP, W3C, DVB and ATSC.
You have a strong track record in video processing, computer vision and/or computer graphics research, with experience in standardization activities. You are eager to provide significant technical leadership in the development of new media experiences (real and synthetic). You enjoy innovating and researching novel techniques and are not afraid of addressing specific requirements from new verticals related to extended reality, volumetric viewing or digital twin. You have a keen eye on understanding the complete media chain (creation, distribution, rendering). You are a team player, in a multicultural environment, sharing knowledge and expertise with your colleagues. You benefit from exposure to the international scientific and standardization community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening standardization bodies and building a strategic contribution to sustain IML lab activities
- Actively participate and contribute to our video, graphics and XR standardization activities.
- Provide standardization leadership and support to other team members and partnership programs as required.
- Publication of activity results in various forms, including patent applications, standards contributions, conference and journal publications, technical white papers.
- Masters’ or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Graphics or Computer Science. Position will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and relevant work experience.
- Solid research background in image or video signal processing and/or synthetic content and graphics rendering.
- Some programming skills.
- Strong analytical and research skills along with a proven innovation track record.
- Past experience and contributions with standards and formats
- Lobbying skills and past experience of chair, co-chair or delegate in some SBOs (such as MPEG, JVET, 3GPP, W3C, DVB, ATSC) is a plus
- Fluent in english (spoken and written)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong team player.
- Available and willing to travel.
Location: Rennes, France; or Montreal, QC Canada