Who we are
We have built Curve Dental into an industry-leading provider of beautiful cloud software for the dental industry. With development operations based in Calgary for over 12 years, we recently received private equity investment (Battery Ventures) so that we can accelerate our growth and further dominate the dental software industry.
Who we are looking for
We employ developers who are passionate about software development and technically excellent. Our developers work across the full stack of an application and understand that a project is not done until it has been deployed to production for our users. We want developers who can contribute positively to our culture and teach us things we didn't know before. Those same developers are always hungry to learn and improve in any way they can.
Our development managers combine all of the above alongside superior leadership and people skills, a talent for project management and taking on a scrum-master role, expert-level technical ability and the desire to promote quality and standards in all areas of building product, and a true desire to build high-performing teams. Let's not forget the love of getting hands well and truly dirty in code too!
If you want to be coding all day every day then this is NOT the opportunity for you; please check out our Full Stack Software Developer posting. Otherwise read on, my friend...
Things we’re looking for in terms of more specific skill-sets and experience:
- 3+ years of experience leading or managing software developers for a software company building large-scale web applications using open source technologies
- 8+ years of experience building large scale enterprise software
- Experience mentoring and leading software engineers and small teams through strong interpersonal and organisational skills
- Experience writing user stories and breaking down high-level requirements into smaller well-defined work tasks
- Extensive programming experience in a language that demands strong OO skills (C# / Java / C++ / etc.). Note that we don't use all these technologies; these are examples of the types of skills we look for. Experience with PHP is a definite plus, as is experience with REST. Ideally, you’ve been coding since you were old enough to read.
- Code reviews are a part of everyday life in your work (both as a reviewer and reviewee)
- Advanced knowledge of how applications interact with databases, mainly through ORM technologies and also through stored procedures, triggers, etc.
- Proficiency in Unix / Linux environments
- Evangelism of automated testing in all its forms in your previous work; you've written way more unit tests than application code.
- Project management experience (specifically with Agile Scrum teams) with a solid track record of delivering high-quality software within estimated times while handling multiple sizable projects concurrently.
- Ability to lead constructive and objective estimation sessions with a view to longer term project planning
- Ability to effectively manage dependencies and remove obstacles to ensure team productivity
- Keeps stakeholders proactively informed about project status and plans
- Experience working and collaborating with many different areas of a business such as product management, software architects, business analysts, user experience designers and customer support teams.
- Experience of recruiting software developers is a bonus
How to Apply
Send your resume to email@example.comHelp with the subject line YOUR NAME: Software Development Manager! Remember to make the name substitution, select the level of experience you have and to include the exclamation mark :-)
Don't just send us your standard cover letter; simply answer the following 3 questions:
- What do you know about our business and industry?
- Why is what we do important to our clients?
- What is your favourite aspect of our business, and why?
This particular role is at Curve Dental's office in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. To find out more about Curve Dental and what it's like to work with us go to www.curvedental.com/jobs