The Royal Conservatory is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, teacher certification and arts-based social programs.
The Royal Conservatory School is seeking a group and individual Suzuki Viola Instructor. Reporting to the Dean, The Royal Conservatory School, the Suzuki Viola Instructor is responsible for providing high quality viola instruction to students ages 4+ individually and in a group setting. The ideal candidate will have 4+ years teaching experience and will have completed Suzuki Level 1, Viola and be registered through the Suzuki Association of the Americas.
Key responsibilities include:
- Deliver high-quality instruction to students in an individual and/or small group setting.
- Suzuki methodology required with Suzuki books as required text. When applicable introduction of RCM curriculum/examinations required for students ages 3-18.
- Focus on all aspects of playing; proper bow hold, proper playing technique, sound production, articulation, musicianship, etc.
- Assist with recruitment and retention of students in the Conservatory School’s signature Music Enrichment Program.
- At least 4 years group and individual teaching experience required
- A Bachelor of Music degree in music education or performance; Master of Music preferred (or equivalent)
- Recognition of at least Book 1 course completion through SAA
- Follow the RCM curriculum and advocate for yearly examinations
- RCM Teacher Certification required
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivated, disciplined and goal oriented
- A team player who is interested in contributing to the community and culture of the RCS
The Royal Conservatory of Music is committed to a policy of equity and inclusion.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and RCM’s Access and Equity policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and current résumé online (please upload a single file combining both documents) at www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservatory by Friday, February 16, 2018.
Please note that this position may be filled prior to the deadline should a suitable candidate be identified.
We thank all applicants for their submissions and will contact only those selected for an interview.