The Systems Engineer I will be a key member of the System Operations team. You will be integral in providing agility, stability, uptime and service for production operations, software development and product teams. System Engineers underpin the service management lifecycle for all our products by adopting the ITIL framework and using it as a source of best practices. Not only will you support a large production environment, you will be exposed to cutting-edge technologies, work on high-value projects and have a real opportunity to influence the direction of a highly successful public company.
Carbonite System Operations is a high-functioning, hard-driving and fun-loving group of professionals that define what it means to be a TEAM. Supporting multiple product infrastructures in our data centers, private cloud and public cloud in North America and EMEA. We are looking to add a seasoned member to our ranks in the Waterloo, Ontario, area and need someone who is intelligent, intellectually curious, driven, and loves to be challenged. You will be made better by the people you work with and you must understand that our degree of success is directly proportional to our strength as a team.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
Your First Six Months:
- Meet your peers in System Operations and gain a firm understanding of what we do and our interdependencies on each other, and how we collectively contribute to the success of the organization and the company.
- Meet with the System Operations Principal Engineers and review their goals and initiatives.
- Work with Operations peers to understand tools used by System Operations to support our products and development environments.
- Become intimately familiar with and take on the appropriate ownership of your part in the System Operations initiatives currently in-flight.
- Adhere to change, access control and compliance policies.
- Learn about the products we support.
- Establish and foster trust with your team members, peers and stakeholders through demonstrated ownership and accountability for your operational responsibilities.
- Learn how we use Kanban and prioritize our work flow.
- Follow defined ITIL processes and company policies.
- Resolve request fulfilment tickets.
- Become familiar with capacity and performance management dashboards and tools and our event and alert notification systems.
- Provide tier 2 support.
- Join the on-call rotation.
- Manage incidents and own them through resolution.
- Resolve system problems.
- Be able to provision VMs and storage to multiple product and cloud environments.
- Document known errors and be creating runbooks and procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge management best practices by improving incident resolution times and measuring your success.
- Become a subject matter expert.
Key Challenges to Overcome
- Embracing change.
- Maintaining focus amidst disruption from the influx of acquisition integration considerations and requirements.
- Be comfortable with reorganization.
- Improving your skill sets and aligning them with our mission.
- Identifying what’s important to work on through understanding of company and departmental goals.
What will make you successful at Carbonite:
- Honesty, integrity, transparency, follow-through and humility.
- Share and be generous with knowledge.
- Excellent communication abilities – oral & written, easily explaining complex concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Outstanding customer/stakeholder-facing presence, including critical issue resolution and escalation, root cause analysis/corrective actions and leading with accountability.
- Knowledge of Agile software development, release management, configuration automation tools and processes.
- Passion for designing, building and delivering highly available systems for 24/7/365 operations.
- Experience working with enterprise networking and topologies, information security, Windows, Linux, VMware, Hyper-V, and hybrid cloud environments – 5 years
- Design and operating experience of enterprise-class SAN systems (HPE 3par, HPE Nimble) and NAS systems (NetApp, Dell/EMC Isilon) – 3 years
- Fabric zoning and management
- LUN provisioning
- Provisioning and maintaining compute – 2 years
- Dell/EMC M1000 blade and HPE C7000 blade systems
- Dell/EMC PowerEdge C6420 quad servers
- Stand-alone servers
- SMB share and user access provisioning
- Active Directory management across multiple domains, countries and environments – 2 years
- Direct Attach storage with RAID and Adaptive RAID management experience – 2 years
- Dell/EMC PowerVault ME4084
- Administration and automation experience with event and alert notification and monitoring tools (SolarWinds/Icinga/PagerDuty) – 1 years
- Automation and DevOps experience a plus
Carbonite was launched with a clear goal: Provide easy-to-use, secure and affordable online backup to the consumer market. Today we are a leading provider of data protection, with a comprehensive portfolio of solutions purpose-built for consumers, small and midsized businesses with a global network of partners including VARs, MSPs and OEMs.
Together with Webroot—acquired by Carbonite in 2019—we provideend-to-end data resilience. Our company vision is tosafeguard people and businesses from the cost and consequences of data loss and cyber threats. We deliver on that vision with powerful antivirus protection plus easy-to-use backup and recovery services.
Our business requires top talent. We foster a thriving, dynamic environment rich with inventive minds and entrepreneurial spirit. From engineering to sales and marketing, operations and customer support, our 1600 employees are empowered and encouraged to build their careers at Carbonite.
We pride ourselves on hiring standout candidates who shine in a workplace that encourages collaboration and teamwork. Carbonite is growing fast, and we’re currently looking for talented candidates around the globe. Are you ready to grow with us?#LI-POST
Carbonite, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Upon request, accommodations will be made available during the recruitment process for applicants with a disability. If you require accommodations, we will work with you to provide or arrange for the provision of suitable accommodation wherever possible. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.