The Technology Project Manager establishes and leads assigned projects which have been initiated by the Accountable Executive or Technology Executive. These include launching new products and services, application development, systems integration, operational efficiency improvements, process re-engineering, and infrastructure upgrades and deployments. The Technology Project Manager holds the primary project relationship with the Accountable/ Technology Executive and/or Senior Project/Program manager as applicable. Technology The Project Manager ensures that a successful business and technology outcome is the prime measure of project success. The Technology Project Manager has an understanding of the line of business and is able to facilitate communication with other program/project managers and stakeholders efficiently and effectively. The Technology Project Manager directs, manages, and coordinates team members including other sub-project managers, and technology resources, user groups, internal and external consultants and contractors, as well as vendors and external regulatory organizations as well as managing closely with the business PM.
· Directs complex projects often involving multiple internal and external constituents and matrix partners
· Typically exercises direct accountability for projects with up to 10 team members
· Works with people managers across business and T&O to ensure projects are staffed with the right mix of people who exhibit the required perspectives, skills and behaviours.
· Accountable party for defining, planning, orchestrating, and delivering assigned projects, including all business, operational and IT deliverables
· Directly manages all aspects of the project lifecycle and works with matrix business, corporate and IT partners to oversee all phases of the project, and to ensure that related project processes are completed as required (including, as applicable, change management, process management, transition to business/operations, system development, quality management, etc.)
· Within the context of the assigned project, responsible for building and sustaining the day-to-day relationships and communications (including project briefings) with stakeholders at various levels of the organization, including executive level, as well as other internal and external resources. Sustains and manages the relationship with the Accountable/ Technology Executive (and Program Manager, where applicable) throughout the duration of the project by providing sound advice, counsel and support
· Works with the Business PM and Accountable PM to ensures end results are of the highest caliber with a clearly articulated scope and quantifiable business benefit
· Provides thought leadership, motivation, coaching, mentoring and professional development for project teams in order to obtain a high level of co-operation and contribution from all project members
· Chairs regular core team and attends (to be agreed with Accountable PM ) key governance forums as needed and in consultation with the Accountable PM (if not the APM) (e.g. Steering Committees, Operating Committees, Decision Forums) to review progress with key constituents. Represents the interests of the project or program in various project governance and inter-department forums
· Works with the Business/ PM to ensure the mechanisms of change management (plans, processes, tools) are in place and effectively executed for both business and technology.
· Ensures project issues and risks are identified, quantified, managed and tracked. Uses past experience to proactively "anticipate" risk and develop appropriate mitigation strategies and plans. Ensures risks, assumptions and constraints are appropriately communicated and escalated when necessary
· Rigorously manages scope to ensure commitments are achieved within agreed on time, cost, and quality parameters
· Manages and/or validates financial forecasts and provides on-going reconciliation of resources and other related project expenditures
· Defines and tracks project milestones while developing, maintaining, and reporting on an overall integrated delivery plan
· Works with the Business/ PM to develop project artifacts including charter, integrated plan, resource plan, contingency plan, and related PM artifacts, while complying with applicable enterprise standards(e.g. Risk, Audit, Compliance)
· Monitors and controls the project. Proposes recommendations and adjustments to the overall project manager (or Accountable Executive, as applicable) and publishes periodic project status reports.
· Provides Accountable Executive, Business and Technology Executives with continued insight in the viability of the business case (e.g. costs, benefits, KPIs) as the project progresses
· Assists with the negotiations of complex contracts with external vendors (in consultation with Strategic Sourcing and the Vendor Manager) to ensure receipt of specific resources and materials, as well as best value for the Enterprise. Ensures day-to-day vendor relationship management occurs (including monitoring performance, reviewing and approving vendor invoices)
· Contributes to improve the best practices of the project management community within the Enterprise to help drive consistency, transparency and execution excellence on projects.
· Possesses a university degree and/or 6 to 8 years relevant work experience
· Possesses advanced knowledge and 3 to 6 years of experience in project management, including managing at least two projects of significant complexity and value (> $2MM) with moderate to high risk
· Industry-specific knowledge and experience is an asset
· Holding a valid PMP designation from the Project Management Institute/ Program (PMI/ PMP) is an asset
· Working experience implementing using both waterfall, iterative and Agile Methodology
· Good relationship management and consulting skills which results in an ability to earn the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders, mobilize and motivate teams, set direction and approach, resolve conflict, deliver tough messages with grace, execute with limited information and ambiguity
· Solid change leadership and management skills
· Solid risk management skills
· Ability to navigate a matrixed organization effectively
· Solid stakeholder management and influencing skills, effective at the executive level
· Sound business supported by a strong technical acumen
· Solid presentation, written and verbal communication skills which bring clarity and precision at various decision-making meetings. Ability to translate technology issues into business terminology and visa-versa.
· Solid problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
· Solid core project management skills including multiple aspects of the PMBOK (i.e. Project Management Institute's PM Body Of Knowledge)
· Solid knowledge and expertise in the use of project management methodologies and tools (e.g. Clarity, MS Project, SharePoint repositories, Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) if applicable)
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
To submit your application for this job, please go to:
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.