Under general supervision from the Manager, Ship Assist & Harbour Services, the Traffic Assistant performs administrative duties relating to the assigned department. This involves daily monitoring of ship traffic in Vancouver Harbour and Outports and working with various internal departments in order to prepare accurate invoices for services provided.
The Traffic Assistant also monitors barge activity and prepares invoices for Third Party barging activity. He/she monitors and follows up on accounts receivable, and reports on status of AR to Financial Accounting on a monthly basis. The Traffic Assistant provides superior customer service responding to a wide variety of customer inquiries related to billing and AR in a timely manner.
The incumbent reports directly to the Manager, Ship Assist & Harbour Services. From time to time, the incumbent may take direction from other Commercial Services team members. This role does not have any direct reports.
- Prepares invoices for Ship Assist orders Vancouver Harbour and Outports, Westshore and DeltaPort ensuring accuracy in customer billing information and tariffs for services rendered and customer agreements. Manually submits invoices for specified customers.
- Reconciles tugs logs with HELM entries to ensure invoices are correct and all billable activities are captured
- Responsible for Quarterly reporting to specified customers
- Communicates with Seaspan AR and customers regarding outstanding invoices and payment applications. Resolves discrepancies in Customer payments and histories. Assists Seaspan AR identifying payments.
- Responds to a variety of customer inquiries in a timely manner and ensures action is taken to resolve inquiry.
- Assists with various projects from time to time, as.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary training in business, business administration, bookkeeping, accounting or similar is required
- 1-3 years experience working in a similar role in an office environment
Skills and Knowledge and Required Competencies
- High proficiency with the MS-Office suite of programs (Especially Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Excellent numeracy essential
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a team member
- Well organized and able to effectively manage time
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Appreciation for confidentiality in all matters
- Proficiency in typing is an asset