|Facility Name||The Wellesley of Victoria (WELL)|
|Job Category||Clinical Support [Registered Nurses][Licensed Practical Nurses][Registered Care Aides][Recreational Therapists]|
|Position Summary||Reporting to General Manager or designate, develops and implements activities, events, and programs that meet the social, physical, intellectual, and emotional needs of the residents.|
|Responsibilities||Include but not limited to;|
1. Plans, implements, schedules, and evaluates regular indoor and outdoor activities and events that meet social, physical, intellectual, and emotional needs of the residents. Such activities include games, exercise, entertainment, and other related activities which encourage participation, maintain optimum resident involvement and contribute to a sense of community. Activities may be conducted by the Activity Coordinator or contracted out.
2. Plans, coordinates, and is responsible to provide resident transportation services. Drives the bus to most outdoor activities but may schedule other means of transportation as directed by the Manager.
3. Consult and coordinate events and activities with other departments to ensure enough resources to meet the needs of the schedules events. Resources may include food service, provision of equipment and furniture, or additional staff. Will ensure staff members are aware of upcoming events through written bulletins or memos.
4. Involve residents in the planning of activities and events. Encourages residents to volunteer their special skills in order to enhance activity participation.
5. Develop and maintain appropriate methods for communicating all programs, services, and events, including the site newsletter, bulletins, and meetings.
6. Contribute to creating an environment which maintains happiness, self-respect, personal dignity, and physical safety of each resident.
7. Manages and controls activity equipment, inventory and supplies. Budgets and controls the costs for activities each month and accounts for funds at the end of each month.
8. Encourage community involvement and endeavor to bring community programs to the site. Promotes the site to outside organizations and ensures that the services of the site are recognized and understood.
9. Provides personal care during recreational activities as required.
10. Observes and reports any changes in residents to the supervisor and/or nurse.
11. Documents as per policy and procedures.
12. Ensures recreational equipment and supplies are used, maintained and stored in a safe, clean, and efficient manner. Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to supervisor.
13. Performs other related duties as required.
|Qualifications||1. Graduate from a recognized Activity/Recreation Diploma program, with experience in a senior’s focused recreation department an asset.|
2. Valid First Aid certificate (basic).
3. Valid Food Safe certificate or equivalent.
4. Valid Class 4 (Unrestricted) BC Driver’s License and free of driving violations.
5. Valid Serving It Right certificate.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and written instructions.
2. Ability to work with staff, residents, and families in a manner that demonstrates tact, diplomacy, empathy, patience, and concern.
3. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
4. Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
5. Must be in good health and free of pet or detergent/cleaning agent allergies.