The Area Manger is responsible for managing and directing all production activities within a assigned area in a stage of construction. The position must ensure safety, quality, cost and schedule adherence of the blocks and zones within the area in order to contribute to efficient SoC operations. This position will require daily liaison with Safety, Quality & Accuracy Control, and Trade Personnel.
- Responsible for the safety of all employees working in assigned Area during the construction process.
- Communicates HSEQ plans to General Supervisors and ensures that all Area employees look to eliminate safety hazards at every opportunity.
- Manages and coordinates the work and schedules with General Supervisors, subcontractors and vendors within Area.
- Ensures schedules are managed to current installation methods and technologies in order to complete work with minimal disruption to other Stage of Construction (SoC) activities.
- Monitors and reports safety, quality, cost and schedule performance for all work in assigned Area and advises SOC Manager if deviations are anticipated.
- Initiates timely corrective action plans necessary to maintain overall schedule adherence.
- Verifies completion of production work for each phase of the block/zone.
- Conducts necessary inspections and reports results to the SoC Manager
- Provides input to Trade Superintendent for trade improvements (related to training, equipment or process) necessary for optimal build strategy implementation.
- Works with Supply Chain to resolve material, quality and schedule issues.
- Active daily management and maintenance of Seaspan Production Systems.
- Directly manages and develops General Supervisors into a high performing team.
- Monitors team performance, coaches General Supervisors, initiates and follows through on necessary improvements and recognizes worker performance.
- Performs all job related responsibilities in accordance with Seaspan’s Core Values and leads by example.
Education and Experience
- College degree or trades ticket preferred (NACE Level 3).
- Minimum 5 years of related work experience; or advanced education in a related field with 2 years related work experience.
- Proficient knowledge of trade responsibilities specific to heavy manufacturing (paint/sandblasting).
Skills and Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Proven supervisory and management experience.
- Experience in the application of behavioural-based safety.
- Strong written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
- Demonstrates ability to make mature and timely job site decisions.