Inter Pipeline is a major petroleum transportation, storage and natural gas liquids processing business that ranks among the largest energy infrastructure companies in Canada. We are proud to be named one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers, which recognizes Alberta businesses that lead their industries by being exceptional places to work.
Located out of our Fort McMurray office, the individual in the of role of Area Operations Engineer will report to the Supervisor, NGL Offgas Engineering. The Area Operations Engineer, NGL Offgas Engineering will support the Pioneer 1 and 2 liquid extraction plants near Fort McMurray. The Operations Engineer will oversee the day-to-day operations of the fractionator, provide engineering support and act as a liaison for the NGL Offgas Engineering group with the Operations and Project Development teams and vendors offering operations support services. The ideal candidate will have 5-8 years of experience related to Oil/Gas Plant Operations. The preferred candidate will have experience with natural gas liquids extraction and cryogenic processes.
Key Activities and Responsibilities:
- Maintain an accurate listing of plant simulations and associated data. Maintain and develop a record of the operating envelope of the various processes in place at the plant and continue to develop the understanding of best operating practices for each. Includes periodic process performance testing and operational evaluation as needed to generate the data needed.
- Support Operations and Maintenance by leading and participating in the analysis, troubleshooting, and solving of mechanical equipment problems and issues together with plant teams.
- Lead investigations into process and/or equipment failures and complete reports and recommendations on preventative measures.
- Interface with engineering, service, and vendor companies on plant issues and obtain required information to support the issues at hand.
- Maintain vendor and industry contacts to support service of the plant and advancement of plant initiatives.
- Interface with plant and corporate groups to obtain needed information and services and present results.
- Complete tasks as assigned in support of the overall operation of the plants.
- Be the primary reviewer of changes to plant P&IDs as advanced through the MOC and other non-project means.
- Support asset management and reliability initiatives with participation on focus teams, review of reliability initiatives and implementation of programs at the extraction plants.
- Assist as a technical resource in the safe and reliable operation and maintenance of the plant.
- Support plant reliability initiatives through the planning, implementation, and sustaining stages.
- Support unit outages by providing mechanical assistance for work packages as well as timely and effective resolution on as-found integrity issues.
- Complete projects as assigned, ensuring all projects are executed safely, with minimal environmental impact, in compliance with all rules, regulations and standards, on budget, on time, operationally successful and in line with the business objectives.
- Manage all aspects of projects required to take concepts and ideas through to complete projects that contribute to the plants’ bottom line. Including concept and design generation, cost estimates, HAZOPs, status reporting, construction management, equipment and project commissioning, final documentation, and project signoffs. And ensure projects are executed in accordance with Inter Pipeline’s corporate standards (MOC, SAP, Maximo, etc.).
- Prioritize and ensure all projects are economically justified with proper authorization including the commercial group.
- Contribute to plant long-term capital plans by preparing scopes and estimates, maintaining project forecasts, and identifying potential future projects.
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s in Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related discipline,
- 5-8 years of industry related experience, with a proven track record in plant operations, maintenance and reliability,
- Registration with, or eligible for, registration as a P.Eng. with APEGA,
- A strong technical understanding of natural gas liquids extraction, cryogenic processes and natural gas liquids storage processes and equipment, process optimization, data analysis, project management, operational best practices and process safety,
- Exceptional analytical and troubleshooting skills, strong communication and technical writing abilities, attention to detail and well developed interpersonal skills are required,
- Maximo and SAP experience will be an asset.
As this position is identified as safety sensitive, employment of a final candidate will be conditional upon completion of pre-employment medical and drug/alcohol assessments with satisfactory results.