ASSISTANT SCIENTIST II, BIOANALYTICS
13 Month Term
Emergent BioSolutions is currently seeking an Assistant Scientist II, Bioanalytics. The successful candidate will have a university degree or technical diploma in chemistry, biology or a related field of study, have a minimum of 2 years directly related experience in a recognized professional or technical/scientific field. In addition, this individual will possess a strong work ethic and a commitment to excellence and innovation.
Emergent BioSolutions is dedicated to one simple mission—to protect and enhance life.
As a global specialty pharmaceutical company, Emergent offers specialized products to healthcare providers and governments to address medical needs and emerging health threats.
We value the diversity that each employee brings, and while we look for people who share our Core Values, we thrive on difference as well. With hundreds of talented employees working around the globe, Emergent is a growing organization with a wide variety of scientific, technical and professional career opportunities worldwide.
- Develop and qualify/verify/validate/transfer analytical assays to support various functions, such as routine manufacturing, product discovery, proof of concept studies and candidate selection.
- Characterize products and impurities to support process/product development, formulation development, licensure, and product investigations.
- Support QC labs by: supporting developed assays throughout their lifecycle, trending assay data, and supporting continuous improvement initiatives (where applicable)
- Perform GxP compliant testing we required to support manufacturing, product release & stability or nonclinical/ clinical studies.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the development and/or optimization of analytical methods to support R&D and quality laboratories
- Participate in analytical method validations/verifications and transfers, including assisting with authoring of associated protocols and reports
- Support quality control laboratories by assisting with assay troubleshooting where required and trending assay data
- Support Emergent’s quality culture by: adhering to all effective SOPs and safety requirements, documenting laboratory work consistent with GxP requirements, taking action where deficiencies are found and identifying continuous improvement opportunities
- Utilize scientific knowledge to contribute to development projects
- Work productively with other team members as well as on independent assignments
- Receive and test samples; perform routine laboratory procedures
- Make detailed observations, analyze data using appropriate statistical techniques (where applicable), report data as appropriate and interpret results
- Maintain laboratory records and inventory for supplies and reagents
- Perform preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on analytical / laboratory / scientific methodologies and techniques
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work area in accordance with standard laboratory practice and procedures
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
Minimum of two years directly related experience in a recognized professional or technical/scientific field. Experience in a pharmaceutical cGMP environment is an asset but is not required.
- University degree or technical diploma in chemistry, biology or related field of study.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Competence in laboratory and scientific practices, including maintaining sufficiently detailed and compliant laboratory records.
- Ability to operate common scientific equipment and instrumentation (e.g. spectrophotometer, centrifuge, flow hood)
- Understanding of analytical chemistry concepts: chromatography, electrophoresis, spectrometry, statistics, sources of error and reporting of data
- Basic knowledge of analytical method validation
- Basic knowledge of protein chemistry
- Skill in interpretation of data to support research and development work
- Skill in communication of information in both written and verbal forms.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills; can work collaboratively with others.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office - Word, Excel
- Basic knowledge of pharmaceutical GLPs and GMPs
- Knowledge of general laboratory techniques and chemical and biological safety practices
- Working knowledge of how to interpret/use information derived from hazardous product regulations that include WHMIS 2015 (GHS) and Canadian BioSafety Standard(s)
- Citizenship/Permanent Resident or Valid Work Permit.
- Successful Completion of a Criminal Record Check.
Interested? Please visit www.emergentbiosolutions.com and to be considered for our career event on March 26th, please email email@example.com today!