We are seeking a dedicated and focused underwriting assistant to work closely with our underwriting experts to deliver high quality service to our clients. This role supports our Inland Marine Underwriting Team based out of our Canadian headquarters in Downtown Toronto.
The Ideal Candidate
- You’re organized and a master multi-tasker. You pay attention to details and can effectively manage your time and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- You take initiative. You don’t wait until you are told what to do. You anticipate project needs and can roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
- You’re a team-player. Our organization collaborative atmosphere where supporting each other is critical for success.
- You’re professional and customer service focused. You put the needs of your internal and external clients first and take pride in your work and reputation.
Client Service: Representing the Brand
- Provide clients with exemplary customer service
- Maintain relationships with clients and carriers and serve as a point of contact
- Service insurance policies by answering questions or requests from clients and carriers
- Communicate with brokers, and carriers to troubleshoot issues and follow up on accounts
- Handle accounting or payment issues
- Work with internal team members for ad-hoc underwriting projects and requests
Underwriting: Quoting New Business & Renewals
- Process new business and renewal submissions within all systems in a timely manner
- Correctly classify submissions and renewals (which carriers to choose, if it is a declined class, if rate is not competitive)
- Calculate appropriate rates for the submission or renewal
- Choose the right wording to form policy documents
- Stay up to date on renewal book – send notices and quotes on time (solicit renewals)
- Quote new business submissions with Underwriter supervision
- Complete in-house rating worksheets for binding contracts accurately (Binding)
- Explain and negotiate pricing and terms with brokers on behalf of your Underwriter
- Follow all audit requirements for files (e.g. all subjectivities collected, all missing information received, u/w file notes, etc.)
- Be able to sell B&W coverages and rates to broker
- Attend all relevant internal training sessions for contracts, new products, skills
Marketing & Sales: Developing new business with clients
- Cultivate relationships with brokers
- Assist team with marketing plan for the quarter and have accountability for team goals
- Participate in broker visits with Underwriter
- Follow up with agents and brokers on behalf of Underwriter
- Complete broker visit reports for the book of business
- When applicable, manage an assigned subset of focus brokers
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Insurance administration experience in underwriting and/or brokerage support with excess & surplus lines preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in sales and marketing
- Proven organization skills and ability with a strong attention to detail
- Interest in continued education and professional development to obtain full underwriting authority
When someone needs insurance coverage for the unique, the unusual, or the unconventional, they come to Burns & Wilcox Canada. Burns & Wilcox Canada offers comprehensive solutions for retail insurance brokers and agents of all sizes. Burns & Wilcox Canada is a subsidiary of the H.W. Kaufman Group. No other specialty insurance organization can match the unique ability of the H.W. Kaufman Group to broker, write, insure and finance the most highly specialized risks in the world.
Burns and Wilcox Canada is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence with a view to providing integration and equal opportunities for all. Burns and Wilcox Canada welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and will accommodate applicants’ disability-related needs in accordance with the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please inform the Recruiter or contact our Human Resources department at HRCanada@burns-wilcox.ca or 416-774-2660. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.