This position is for P&F Tool & Die, a division of Cosma International. Cosma International, an operating unit of Magna International, is one of the world's premier global automotive suppliers providing a comprehensive range of body, chassis, and engineering solutions to our customers.
The Automation Engineer is responsible for all activities related to equipment standards, process controls, manufacturing, installation, support, documentation and testing activities of all new \ used equipment including, but not limited to, robotics, assembly, on-line fixtures, conveyor systems, etc.
* Drive all activities relating to ensuring existing and new equipment is built and running in accordance to P&F Equipment Standards and specifications. Including the troubleshooting, debugging, start-up and programming of all automated equipment. * Owns equipment buy-off process. Ensures all required information from supplier is submitted prior to buy-off * Technical expert for electrical controls, process logic controls (ex: Allen Bradley, Siemens), robot installation, programming and troubleshooting (ex; Fanuc, ABB, Motoman), vision inspection system programming. * Support multiple PLC and other electrical controlled automated systems * The ability to program or modify PLC's and HMI's (ex; Allen Bradley, Siemens, Proface) * Determine correct controls for all Poke Yokes (Vision Systems, PLC's, and Robotics). * Understand logic writing to create handshakes between the equipment and I.T Systems. * Coordinate the development in writing and maintaining effective maintenance specification and preventative maintenance programs on all equipment to ensure top performance for productivity. * The ability to build and wire control panels * Create training materials, as well as, conduct training of support personnel as required. * Participate in the design of custom process automation machines, equipment, systems, devices and fixtures to support assembly requirements. * Recommend equipment improvements and/or manufacturing methods for improvement and all equipment. * Coordinate all mechanical/electrical system modifications with external vendors, maintenance personnel * Support and assist maintenance personnel with diagnosing software and electrical system problems. * Work closely with production, maintenance and engineering to establish optimized performance of all equipment. * Identify and correct any safety issues inside the facility. * Ensure a safe working environment by observing safe work practices and by following all safety policies and procedures. * Support the quote preparation process by reviewing and selecting appropriate PLC products. * Initiate Engineering Change Requests (ECR) for appropriate equipment changes. * Assist in preparation of all quotes for new business as needed. * Assist in the negotiation of contracts with equipment vendors as needed. * Implement continuous improvement strategies to reduce scrap cost and improve productivity and quality. * Assists in the preparation and execution of all new program launches, including scheduling of all pilot build activities. * Assist in establishing departmental goals and KOI's. * Assist in determining resolutions to customer issues through the implementation of process and design changes as they relate to equipment. * Ensure all process related documentation including FMEA, control plans and work instruction are released and maintained on time and in proper order. * Develop an effective Best Practices process to ensure lessons learned are implemented in new programs, processes and equipment. * Maintains the Design Database and ensure accuracy of information provided. * Responsible for ensuring that the organization is working with the most up-to-date and pertinent engineering drawings, databases and parts list. Keeps all equipment drawings up to date as changes are implemented. * Maintains proper filing systems to ensure all information is properly stored and easily retrieved. * Travel to the suppliers to review / confirm build status during manufacture and attend trials. * Follows and enforces the guidelines and rules as defined in the Employee Handbook and Company policies. * Maintain timelines for assigned project. * On time\budget launch of tooling projects. * Reporting to Management any perceived deficiencies in a program launch before failure to achieve a target is realized.
Knowledge and Education
* Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Mechatronic or Controls Engineering; or equivalent combination of education and six years' experience Solid understanding of principles used in multi-axis robotic systems, conveyor transport systems, * Strong "hands-on" capability in the integration of Robotic (12 + Robots p/Zone) and PLC controls systems in a manufacturing environment. * Strong knowledge of Devicenet, Controlnet & Ethernet I/P networks. * Strong knowledge and Experience with Allen Bradley PLC Family Hardware and Software, such as: Compact Logix w/Safety Partner, MicroLogix Family, RSLogix 500, RS Logix 5000, and Panelview * Understanding of manufacturing, assembly, sequencing and equipment principles * Must have a sophisticated understanding of press automation, dies, equipment and metal technology as it relates to the automotive industry * Thorough knowledge of IATF16949, APQP procedures, Quality Engineering, Supplier Management, Blueprint Reading, Advanced Measuring Techniques, Computer Literate * Knowledge of GD&T, QFD, Design for Manufacturing, VE/VA, DOE, DFMEA/PFMEA, Floor Plans, Process Flow Diagrams, Control Plans, Quoting Procedures / Contract Review. * Working knowledge of AUTOCAD / MS Project / MS Office / Outlook
* Minimum 5 years' experience with automated equipment in a manufacturing environment * Minimum 3 years' experience PLC programming. * Production experience would be an asset.
Skills and Competencies
* Exceptional organizational and communication skills both verbal and written; customer focused. * Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.) * Must be able to work in a strictly confidential matter * Able to work effectively within a team environment * Plans work and carries out tasks without detailed instructions; makes constructive suggestions; prepares for problems or opportunities in advance; undertakes additional responsibilities; responds to situations as they rise with minimal supervision; creates novel solutions to problems; evaluates new technology as potential solutions to existing problems. * Makes sound decisions, bases decisions on fact rather than emotions; analyzes problems skill-fully, uses logic to reach solutions. * Maintains high standards despite pressing deadlines; does work right the first time; corrects own errors; regularly produces accurate, thorough, professional work. * Personally responsible; completes work in a timely, consistent manner; works hours necessary to complete assigned work; is regularly present and punctual; arrives prepared for work; is committed to doing the best job possible; keeps commitments. * Understands, encourages and carries out the principles of integrated safety management, complies with or oversees the compliance with Company safety policies and procedures; completes all required ES&H training, takes personal responsibility for safety. * Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, skills, equipment, procedures and materials. Applies knowledge to identify issues and internal problems; works to develop additional technical knowledge and skills. * Writes and speaks effectively, using conventions proper to the situation; states own opinions clearly and concisely; demonstrates openness and honesty; listens well during meetings and feedback sessions; explains reasoning behind own opinions; asks others for their opinion and feedback; asks questions to ensure understanding; exercises a professional approach with others using all appropriate tools of communication; uses consideration and tact when offering opinions. * Listens and responds effectively to customer questions; resolves customer problems to the customer's satisfaction; respects all internal and external customers; uses a team approach when dealing with customers; follows up to evaluate customer satisfaction, measures customer satisfaction effectively; commits to exceeding customer expectations. * Anticipates problems, sees how a problem and its solution will affect other units; gathers information before making decisions; weighs alternatives against objectives and arrives at reasonable decisions; adapts well to changing priorities, deadlines and directions; works to eliminate all processes which do not add value; is willing to take action, even under pressure, criticism or tight deadlines; takes informed risks; recognizes and accurately evaluates the signs of a problem; analyzes current procedures for possible improvements; notifies supervisor of problems in a timely manner. * Is alert in a high-risk environment; follows detailed procedures and ensures accuracy in documentation and data; carefully monitors gauges, instruments or processes, concentrates on routine work details; organizes and maintains a system of records. * Remains open-minded and changes opinions on the basis of new information; performs a wide variety of tasks and changes focus quickly as demands change; manages transitions from task to task effectively; adapts to varying customer needs. * Able to manage multiple projects, able to determine project urgency in a practical way; uses goals to guide actions; creates detailed action plans, organizes and schedules people and tasks effectively.
* Office and Manufacturing environment * Some exposure to noise.
* Must have valid passport