The role of the Battery Route Driver is to deliver lead acid batteries to our customer locations and test the battery to diagnose, test and analyze the performance of the battery. In addition, they are required to stack, wrap, and load scrap batteries from the customer site and return them to their respective Exide branch location. A successful Driver will have savvy customer service skills, computer literacy, and complete report documentation.
This position pays $18.00 to $20.00/hour based on experience.
- Daily pre and post trip vehicle safety inspection and reporting. Responsible for cleanliness of vehicle at end of shift. Maintenance of vehicle; including stopping for fuel and service as required
- Establish positive relations with customers; retrieval of paperwork for daily route activities and customer orders
- Identification and verification of finished and wrapped batteries for days delivery
- May be required to pick, pack, wrap, and load batteries for days delivery as necessary
- Assume responsibility of weight restrictions and vehicle road regulations in regards to proper transportation of dangerous goods
- Safely drive to customer location based on best and most efficient routes for days delivery
- Log driving times and stops on Xata or similar HOS management system
- Staying within the daily allowed on-duty driving hours as per the MTO and adjusting delivery plans or hotel stops to meet these requirements.
- Test equipment to diagnose, test and analyze the performance of the battery
- Collect receipts for expenses and submit expenses on Gauss system on a regular basis
- Stop for fuel and other service as required
- Report any complaints from customers or issues with battery orders to individuals responsible
- Request, stack, wrap, and load scrap batteries from customer site on to truck
- Maintain inventory of returned batteries
- Return to warehouse with scrap batteries following vehicle road restrictions in regards to proper transportation of dangerous goods
- May be required to unload and move scrap batteries into warehouse as necessary
- Ensure that placarding procedures are followed at all times
- Ensure that load is secure at all times.
- Return paperwork of customer order deliveries, returned scrap batteries, and any other documents
- Complete any reporting and paperwork as necessary if accident or injury occur
- Assist with all duties in the warehouse as required by the Warehouse Manager and when the route finishes early.
- Travel to other branches to help train other employees or cover other regions may be required
- Other duties as required
- DZ or Class 3 drivers license with air brake endorsement and clean drivers abstract
- Forklift experience – counter balance, reach, and/or walkie – certification asset
- Grade 12 minimum
- Basic electronic skills-battery testing equipment
- Computer literacy – experience in inventory management and transportation management systems asset
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Diligent and accurate report writing skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to act independently
- Time management skills
- Must be flexible with hours and ability to work overtime
- Maintain valid TDG certification status
- Maintain/Provide Driver Qualification file information when requested
- Complete EHS Training as requested
- Hours of Service Knowledge
Frequently: driving, sitting, standing, climbing, pushing, pulling, counting, moving, use of hands and fingers, use of eye sight
Moderately: typing, writing, kneeling, hauling, stacking, wrapping, talking, walking
Seldom: balance, stoop, crouch, crawl
Regular use of safety equipment including vehicle use, walkie, Xata and I-Pad.
This position may frequently be pushing, pulling, or moving 30 -70 lb batteries. The driver is exposed to the outside elements and must dress accordingly. Customer service skills are important in establishing a good relationship with the customer.
Exide Technologies (www.exide.com) is a global provider of stored electrical-energy solutions for the transportation and industrial markets. Exide’s 130 years of technology innovation combined with operations in more than 80 countries enables the company to deliver compelling solutions for the world’s current and future power needs. Exide produces and recycles a broad range of products, serving the Transportation, Industrial Network Power and Motive Power market segments with battery and energy storage systems and specialty applications for a broad range of industries including: agricultural, automotive, electric, light and heavy-duty truck, marine, materials handling, military, mining, powersport, railroad, security, telecommunications, utility and uninterruptible power supply (UPS), among others. Exide is Powering the World Forward - history and scale combined with a start-up mentality make Exide the right choice for customers who want more than simply a battery supplier.
Exide Technologies is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.