At Compass Minerals, we harvest, mine and produce essential minerals that deal with nature’s challenges, including – but not limited to – highway deicing salt for the winter months, water softening salt and plant nutrition that improves the quality and yield of crops. We transform Earth’s resources that ultimately help keep people safe, feed the world and enrich lives, every day.
With our company headquarters in Overland Park, KS, Compass Minerals operates in 27 locations throughout the United States, Canada, Brazil & the United Kingdom. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone’s voice matters. We believe in work that creates value for all stakeholders, encourages collaboration at all levels and focuses on a high-performance environment where employees are challenged to be their best.
The Boiler Evaporator Operator is responsible for the safe: operation of high-pressure steam boilers, pumps, motors, gas controls, forced draft systems, safety devices, boiler controls, recording devices, and water treatment equipment. Work is performed according to established procedures under the general supervision of the Boiler Evaporator Plant Supervisor. Position will also perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude but are not limited to the following: (Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
- Maintains maximum Boiler Evaporation process efficiency by adjusting, reading, and interpreting gauges, indicators, and steam flow meters.
- Safely operates boilers, evaporation process and drying process to meet salt production demand.
- Controls Boiler Evaporation plant operations through use of electronic, pneumatic and mechanical controls.
- Observes various manual and electronic measuring devices and makes adjustments to the Boiler Evaporation process accordingly.
- Performs the chemical testing and treatment of boiler feed water.
- Maintains records and reports relative to Boiler Evaporation plant operations.
- Makes regular checks of plant equipment and makes adjustments, authorized repairs, and performs routine equipment service as required.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Ability to read and interpret schematic diagrams, written orders, control gauges, manufacturer's operating instructions books, and to record Boiler Evaporation Plant Operation plant information.
- Walk on uneven concrete surfaces and mezzanines with steel and or fibre grating.
Stand while performing tasks, to observe the work of others and plan approach to immediate task.
Sit for approximately 1/3rd of the day monitoring video displays and meters.
Bend or crouch throughout the work shift to work on equipment.
Infrequently lift up to 20kg and moves item short distances.
Reach in all directions to adjust valves and make adjustments to equipment.
Climb flights of stairs between floors of the building and ladders up to 6’ feet high multiple times a day. Periodic ladder climbing up to 10’
Perform fine hand and finger movements to hold tools appropriately and make precise adjustments to equipment.
Work in an environment that exceeds 85Dba while wearing appropriate PPE.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential duty satisfactorily. Must be able to work affectively as part of a team or alone. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and should be considered the minimum standard. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
A high school diploma or equivalency is required.
Added factors for selection will include:Previous experience and possession of a Power Engineering Certification Operating and/or maintaining equipment in a heavy industrial manufacturing plant.
Compass Minerals is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive considerations for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Compass Minerals is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodations, contract email@example.com or 519 524 8351.