Hourly rate - 17.56 plus 9.6 % in lieu of benefits. Casual - on call
About CoastCoast Mental Health (Coast) is one of the largest mental health non-profit societies in Canada, and operates a large array of innovative housing and community based rehabilitation services for people with a mental illness living in and around Vancouver. Coast operates in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia providing approximately 1000 people with supportive housing and 4000 clients living in the community with a wide variety of programs and services.Coast fosters a client-driven, recovery-oriented environment that promotes restoring health, personal growth and a return to society for individuals with a mental illness through advocacy and providing direct programs and services.
Job SummaryThis position performs a variety of cleaning, landscaping and interior & exterior minor duties at assigned Coast property. Typical Duties
- Cleans, washes, and disinfects all common building areas by using various manual and power cleaning equipment.
- Cleans and washes all mechanical & electrical rooms; ensures the building roof is kept free of debris.
- Cleans suites for tenant occupancy including wall preparation in preparation for painting.
- Collects and disposes of garbage and biohazardous waste.
- Transports equipment, furniture, and supplies manually and/or using aides such as dollies and carts.
- Performs laundry duties such as washing drapes and blinds.
- Completes and maintains related records such as cleaning & maintenance logs. Follows a dedicated cleaning routine.
- Maintains housekeeping equipment by cleaning and repairing parts.
- Reports unsafe and faulty equipment, fixtures and furniture to supervisor. Checks and restocks housekeeping supplies.
- Ensures safe storage of cleaning supplies and equipment following WHMIS guidelines.
- Advises Supervisor of major repair and maintenance work.
- Completes and maintains related records for maintenance work completed.
- Performs security duties for the facility such as patrolling buildings and grounds, checking that doors and windows are secure. Reports unsafe and faulty equipment to Supervisor.
- Cleans parking lots and sidewalks using manual and power equipment to remove dirt, leaves, snow and other refuse.
- Mows and trims lawn, prunes trees & hedges and performs other gardening tasks as required.
- Will provide access to the property and assist where necessary all trades and services plus Statutory Officials such as Fire Inspectors, Police and Boiler Inspectors.
- Will provide information to the Supervisor in preparing annual plans for:
- cleaning & maintenance routines, internal & external
- servicing of cleaning equipment - emergency preparedness
- landscaping and grounds maintenance
- fire drills Fulfils other related duties as assigned.
- Will be a witness on behalf of the Society in legal hearings concerning a tenancy.
- Completes tasks as assigned in the Coast properties with travel provided with own vehicle.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Typical Education, training, and experienceEquivalent experience or Possession of a certificate in Building Service Worker / Cleaning from a recognized college Or equivalent combination of education, training and 1 years experience. Grade 12 education or equivalent. Valid B.C. Drivers License preferred
Possession of a certificate in WHMIS training or eligible to get one Typical Skills and Abilities
Ability to work with people with a mental illness. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position. Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others. Ability to operate related equipment. Ability to organize and prioritize. Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients. Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients. Must be able to prioritise and co-ordinate repairs using own judgementPossess good independent organizational skills.Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Knowledge and experience in maintaining building interiors including cleaning and minor maintenance. Knowledge and experience of the operation and repair of mechanical, electrical, and building systems. Knowledge and experience in the use and maintenance of cleaning machines. Knowledge and experience with cleaning supplies and their appropriate application on building surfaces. Knowledge and experience in grounds maintenance and landscaping techniques.
***Employees of Coast must apply within seven days of the posting date with their internal account (Coast email address registered) to be considered as an internal applicant. Current Coast employees who apply to this posting using external accounts or after the 7 day deadline will be considered as external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Coast Mental Health is committed to creating a culture of diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or disability.