At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
We are looking for an experienced Caretaker to join our team! This is a full-time permanent position. As a Caretaker, you will be responsible for cleaning the assigned area and its fixtures and/or furnishings to maintain a safe, hygienic, and clean environment for students, faculty, staff, and the Ryerson University Community.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Performs cleaning functions while operating cleaning equipment, light maintenance duties and occasional exterior work.
- Mover: Moves, loads and unloads furniture and equipment. Move furniture to clean.
- Recycler: Moves, loads and unloads recycling containers and/or heavy recyclable materials and equipment. Sort’s paper, controls heavy trucks, shreds, and bales recyclable materials.
- Maintains equipment in a clean condition at all times.
- Uses and maintains supplies required to perform in a safe, economical and proper manner.
- Reports malfunctioned equipment and/or broken furniture, fixtures, or equipment and of any non-caretaking items requiring maintenance.
- Wears the Ryerson University uniform during working hours.
- Uses and maintains all required safety and protective equipment.
- Performs other duties as directed by his/her Lead Hand and/or Supervisor.
- Please refer to the job description for all responsibilities.
- Experience as a Caretaker, including cleaning commercial or institutional buildings, knowledge of cleaning strategies, waste management and recycling processes.
- Basic knowledge of English is required to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Knowledge of most recent WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System), and OH & S (Occupational Health & Safety Act).
- A demonstrated commitment to client service, specifically students, staff & faculty.
- Ability to follow detailed established procedures and methods to perform job duties and prioritize the order in which assigned areas are cleaned.
- A demonstrated ability to determine quantity of supplies for assigned area and whether furniture should be removed from classroom due to damage.
- Attention to detail is required to operate caretaking equipment, and to ensure cleaning is performed to established standards.
- Ability to work in undesirable and disagreeable conditions such as dust, dirt, potential hazards, etc.
- Must be capable of heavy lifting and other strenuous physical activity to perform duties such as: continuous walking, standing, repetitive bending, turning, twisting, stretching, pushing, pulling and climbing, moving heavy items, etc.
- Must be willing to use scissor lift once proper training is provided.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team environment and a record of attendance, reliability and dependability.
What Ryerson University has to offer employees:
There is something for everyone! Employees are eligible for many benefits, services and discounts including:
- Convenient location downtown, accessible by transit and car.
- Consistent and guaranteed shifts (40 hours per week).
- Competitive Benefits Package: Group benefits including comprehensive health and dental, emergency travel care, employee and family assistance program (EFAP), life and business travel accident insurance.
- Ryerson Retirement Pension Plan (*RRPP*):Participation in a defined benefit pension plan.
- Tuition Waiver/*Rebate*: Eligible employees and their spouses and dependents have access to various programs and courses offered by Ryerson University.
- Health &Fitness: Reduced membership rate to two (2) Athletic Centres which includes group fitness classes, massage therapy, personal training and aquatics.
- Medical Centre: Access to the Ryerson medical centre which provides a range of medical services on campus.
- Onsite Daycare: Full-time and part-time daycare, and before and after school program.
Thank you for your interest in Ryerson University. Please note that due to the high volume of submissions, only those candidates qualifying for an interview will be contacted by a member of the Recruitment team.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $23.82 /hour