The Carman Helper is responsible for the maintenance and repairs of rail cars and their components, they will receive on-the-job training.
The selected candidate will perform the following functions:
- Total commitment and focus on safety in the workplace.
- Compliance with all G&W safety and environmental rules.
- Inspects car components for compliance with AAR, FRA and customer requirements and standards.
- Performs all scheduled, on-request, and preventative maintenance and repairs on all types of railcars as identified by the Railcare work order. This includes, but is not limited to, maintenance, repairs, and component replacements of;
- Draft system
- Car Body
- Lids and Hoods
- Load restraining devices
- Roofs and hatch covers
- Boxcar doors and tracks
- Brake system and related components
- Safe operations of oxy/gas torches, hand tools, pneumatic tools, hydraulic tools, electric and battery operated tools, jacks, lift truck, skid steer, mobile crane, overhead cranes, welding machines, company vehicles, etc.
- Repairs, removes or replaces components with the use of the correct, and appropriate tools and equipment required for the task.
- Completing all required paperwork in the course of railcar repairs.
- Setting up work area and equipment (including equipment inspections), including but not limited to, welding machines, torches, tools, etc.
- Safe and proper use of Blue Flags and Derails.
- Mobile repairs, as required.
- Cleaning the shop and facilities as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Welding experience is preferred.
- Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, performing overhead work, lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds (22kg) and occasionally up to 85 pounds (39kg).
- Be physically and mentally able to work at heights up to 30 feet (9.25m).
- Possess a good grasp of the English language, including good reading and writing skills.
- Possess a basic knowledge and familiarity with hand tools, pneumatic tools, hydraulic tools, electric and battery operated tools, and other equipment.
- Work indoors and outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Other working conditions: Vacation, benefits and paid holidays are based on the company’s policies.
If considered for the position a full background check will be required (physical, drug, criminal and references).
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected