POSITION: Casual Part-time Medical Laboratory Assistant - OPSEU
HOURS OF WORK: 7.5 hour shifts Days, Evenings, Nights
Prepare a variety of microbiological culture media, reagents and stains. Disinfect, sterilize and prepare lab equipment/containers/supplies for use. Accession and process laboratory specimens. Use hospital computer systems for documentation and record keeping activities. Assist with the preventative maintenance and cleaning schedule of certain laboratory equipment. Assist with inventory control and restocking of supplies. Handle hazardous materials. Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors. Additional duties will include assisting with other Medical Laboratory Assistant duties in the Laboratory as required.
- Certification from a CSMLS and /or MLPAO is preferred
- Graduate of a Medical Laboratory Assistant Program
- Post certification experience preferred
- Recent experience in Microbiology specimen processing, and media preparation is essential;
- Medical terminology required
- Keyboarding experience essential;
- Good organizational, problem solving and planning skills with a proven ability to work independently and accurately under minimum supervision;
- Lifting ability is required for the receipt and dispatch of supplies;
- Ability to work in static and sustained positions;
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Good attendance record.
- Demonstrated commitment to learning and continuing education
- Good performance track record