VersaCold is a food-first supply chain company with one of North America’s largest cold chain networks. We're dedicated to ensuring the safety, quality and freshness of the food families eat. With 65 years of experience, we collaborate as entrusted partners to maintain cold chain integrity and deliver customized solutions to complex business challenges. The foundation of our culture is based upon The VersaCold Way demonstrating our commitment to health and safety, integrity, innovation, performance and collaboration.
We are a growing organization and currently looking for a passionate and motivated Chief Operating Engineer to join our winning team.
Employment Type: Full Time
Reports To: Regional Chief Engineer
Office/Facility: Cliveden Centre Facility – Delta (Annacis Island), BC
The Chief Operating Engineer is responsible for managing a team of Operating Engineers and promoting the safe, efficient and compliant operation of the facility. This individual will be a pro-active leader who is comfortable leading change and can effectively engage with the engineering team, cross functional departments and customers. The Chief Operating Engineer will act as a strategic partner, providing input to business unit leadership teams and aligning site goals with business unit objectives.
- Leads and promotes a culture where Health and Safety is the #1 priority. Provides leadership and support for Health & Safety initiatives within the department.
- Promotes and ensures compliance with the Operating Engineers Regulation, Technical Standards and Safety Act and all codes and regulations referred to within this Act, Health & Safety policies and procedures within the engineering department, all HACCP and food safety requirements within the Engineering Department;
- Provides overall direction, support, coaching and leadership to the team to achieve prescribed objectives and align department and individual efforts to the vision, mission, strategy and culture.
- Manages home facility while collaborating with regional management/engineering departments to implement regional standards, policies and procedures related to the efficient, safe, compliant operation of the company’s refrigerated facilities for the region.
- Monitors, measures, coaches and develops direct reports, ensures adherence to policies and procedures, provides recognition, evaluates and provides feedback on performance, addresses performance concerns and resolves problems.
- Plays a key role in the scoping, planning and execution of capital projects for the facility.
- Responsible for budgeting process to capture capital and operations expenses, and deliver on budget performance.
- Responsible for overseeing the safe operation and maintenance of the facilities refrigeration system, warehouse buildings, racking, and material handling equipment in a manner that minimizes disruption to client product handling, promotes employee safety, and assures minimum operating costs;
- Drives continuous improvement efforts and identifies cost saving and growth initiatives.
- Implements, supports and maintains energy efficiency programs to improve operations and energy efficiency at the facility;
- Monitors, adjusts, and tracks all equipment and systems to help reduce energy / utility costs and actively promote energy efficiency at each facility;
- Directs and supervises the facilities’ operating engineers, contractors, and technicians to meet prescribed objectives and applies proper communication and motivational techniques to ensure employee satisfaction and participation;
- Ensures temperature requirements of the company’s customer client base are met, and monitors, logs, and ensures that daily inspections of refrigeration, building, racking and lift truck equipment are carried out by engineering staff at the facility;
- Monitors and maintains an effective preventative maintenance program for refrigeration, building, racking, and material handling systems;
- Supports sales, warehousing and transportation departments with customer support issues and quoting new work.
- Partners with Human Resources to maintain strong union relations.
- Champions company-wide programs for increasing employee engagement, communications and people development.
- Operates within and promotes compliance with the Code of Business Conduct, company policies and procedures, and all statues and legislation governing the workplace.
- Availability to provide support to shift engineers and the facility for after-hours issues as needed.
- 7 - 10 years’ experience in a refrigerated warehouse environment with strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Experience with ammonia refrigeration systems is essential for this position.
- Preferred a Valid Fourth Class Power Engineer Certificate or at minimum refrigeration operator certificate issued in BC.
- Commitment to health and safety in the workplace.
- Driven to provide exceptional customer service.
- Embraces change and has a continuous improvement philosophy.
- In depth knowledge of provincial regulations regarding operating engineering and refrigeration, elevating devices, building and fire code, local bylaws, environmental, labour, and health and safety legislation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working effectively in a unionized environment governed by collective agreements is an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills including leadership, conflict resolution, influencing and team building abilities.
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to quickly understand and identify issues and implement solutions.
- Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude with a hands-on and team -oriented work style.
- Ability to effectively communicate VersaCold’s vision, technical and business objectives, and updates to team.
- Ability to translate strategic initiatives into executable plans.
- Strong PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office and maintenance software applications.
VersaCold is an equal opportunity employer. Please note, while we appreciate all applications only qualified candidates will be contacted.