The Chief Project Engineer will lead the technical design of shipbuilding projects under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS) in an advisory and consultancy capacity. This role is both strategic and tactical in nature. The Chief Project Engineer will spearhead the design and production of NSS projects and be instrumental in supporting the Engineering and Operations Departments with the successful design and delivery of shipbuilding projects. This role reports to the Vice President, Engineering at Seaspan.
- Develop and oversee engineering design road-maps to ensure the successful delivery of shipbuilding projects under NSS on time and within schedule and cost.
- Provide technical direction to the Engineering Department with respect to the design, development and implementation of shipbuilding projects.
- Identify and deploy the technical skill sets and resource levels to deliver shipbuilding designs.
- Assess cost/benefit trade-off of technical solutions and lead engineering decision making process.
- Ensure an effective interface with other departments is maintained.
- Monitor the completion of engineering tasks and support NSS objectives by ensuring that designs are delivered on time and on budget.
- Lead Seaspan’s engineering activities vis-à-vis the Canadian Coast Guard and the Department of Defense from the design stage through technical review, planning, production and close-out.
- Support a collaborative resolution to technical issues between Seaspan and its customers so as to ensure achievement of project objectives.
- Provide first class technical service throughout engineering and production life cycle in order to maintain customer satisfaction and strengthen customer relationships.
- Increase customer interaction by presenting technically sound solutions for engineering design challenges and ensuring operational perspective is captured in solutions.
- Mentor employees within the Engineering Department to develop key skills required by Seaspan.
- Supervise and supporting Engineering managers in developing and nurturing talent.
- Drive a culture of innovation and engineering excellence.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s (preferably Masters) degree in a relevant engineering discipline.
- At least 15 years of leadership experience in a strategic engineering role with a proven track record delivering quality shipbuilding designs and projects.
- Extensive project management experience preferred.
- P.Eng. EGBC status or E.I.T. status and able to apply for P.Eng. within a year.
- Knowledge and technical understanding of maritime engineering and production, components and design techniques
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Excellent technical knowledge in the maritime industry (preferably mechanical engineering).
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key internal and external stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial thinker with exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver to project deadlines.
- Resilient, self-motivated and able to work well under pressure.
- Strong team building and motivation skills.
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve interpersonal issues within a diverse workforce.