TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
Reporting to the Deputy Director/Chief Operating Officer, this is a permanent, senior role that will supervise the groups responsible for auditing and leading Occupational Health and Safety, Radiological Safety, and Emergency Preparedness. Maintains external contacts with government agencies and regulators both federal and provincial, as well as affiliated universities and institutions, both nationally and internationally.
The Chief Safety Officer will be responsible for administering and advising the TRIUMF Director and COO on all policies and procedures for ensuring personnel and public safety, including environmental protection with respect to all operations at TRIUMF. Key accountabilities include:
- Responsible for ensuring EH&S programs, policy, and practices are executed in accordance with both TRIUMF’s quality standards and CNSC standards for the licensing of its facilities
- Oversees radiological protection and safety systems, focusing on the safety control areas of Management, Facility and Equipment, and Core Control Processes
- Directs, conducts and leads TRIUMF’s Occupational Health & Safety programs, strengthening prevention practices and the laboratory’s WorkSafe experience
- Provides strategic leadership and operational oversight for fire protection and emergency preparedness for the TRIUMF site
- Champions the quality auditing of all operations at TRIUMF for compliance with established policies and regulations that relate to employee and public safety, and environmental protection
- Promotes a safety culture that prioritizes the incorporation of safety principles in all TRIUMF activities.
- Institutes a reporting system with target milestones, metrics and KPIs to chart and report on the laboratory’s progress beyond baseline measures
- Ensures safety KPIs, trends, and root cause analyses are embraced by divisional leadership and promoted top-down through training and communications
- Acts as the designated Radiation Safety Officer and the single point of contact for routine interactions with the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
The successful candidate will have additional qualifications that include:
- A post-graduate degree in physics, engineering or a related radiation protection discipline;
- 10+ years of progressive experience leading OH&S, including radiological and other hazards, in a technologically diverse workplace
- Significant experience and demonstrated good judgement in the field of radiation protection
- Demonstrated experience with occupational health and safety, WSBC and CNSC regulations (or their equivalent )
- Demonstrated experience in the field of accelerator health and safety
- Experience with developing and managing emergency preparedness is an asset
- CRSP (Canadian Registered Safety Professional) or RRSP (Registered Radiation Safety Professional) designation, an asset
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be given serious consideration, and in the case of equal qualifications, preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC.
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, basic life insurance, disability insurance and defined benefit pension plan
- A competitive hiring salary range of $112,300 - $162,000 per annum; the actual offered salary will be based on the applicant’s experience and internal equity, but will usually not exceed the upper limit of the range
- An excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high-profile national research facility
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: 745
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: January 24, 2020
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
Confidential Fax: 604.222.3791
4004 Wesbrook Mall