Smook Contractors Ltd.
Job Title: Civil Engineering Technician
Job Location : Thompson and surrounding area
Reports to: Manager of Technical & Engineering Services
Job Summary : Assist in the planning and construction design of roadworks and other infrastructure projects. Setting up survey equipment, preparing field notes and conducting survey related projects.
- Participate in field surveys and operate a variety of survey instruments and devices including transits, levels, total stations and GPS equipment to measure distances, angles, elevations and contours.
- Review blueprints and specifications, survey records and other documents related to construction projects. Assist in the preparation of field notes, detailed drawings, charts, maps, plans, records and other documents from survey data obtained in the field.
- Confer with project supervision about preparing plans and evaluating field conditions.
- Inspect project sites and evaluate work in order to detect problems with a design.
- Help to ensure that projects conform to design specifications and applicable codes.
- Calculate heights, depths, relative positions, and other characteristics of terrain; verify the accuracy of survey data including measurements and calculations conducted at survey sites.
- Ability to complete manual surveys when required.
- Obtain necessary information and line locates prior to commencement of construction projects.
- Coordinate survey results with site supervision, engineering consultants, owners & management.
- Adherence to all company safety procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Survey experience/ Civil Technology student or graduate/ both an asset.
- Knowledgeable in MS Office, MS Project, GPS control.
- Experienced with survey equipment including Trimble design software & hardware.
- Excellent math and communication skills.
- Ability to problem solve, think critically, and make decisions.
- Must be self-motivated with a desire towards continuous learning & improvement.
- Must be physically fit to complete field surveys in harsh conditions.
- Valid driver’s license
- Some travel is required.
- Work in all weather conditions.
- Minimum 50 hours a week. Overtime as required.