We wake every day to greet glaciers, mountain peaks and turquoise lakes. At Pursuit, we live the dream. We’re united by an intrinsic love of exploring that can’t be confined by physical borders. Together, Pursuit team members and guests create inspiring memories they’ll share with their friends and families for years to come. It’s all about sharing our amazing destinations. We have gathered a collection of adventure travel experiences, each of them thoughtfully united by their power to inspire and invigorate. As a brand, Pursuit weaves elements of wonder and amazement across our range of awe-inspiring experiences.
- Our Vision is to be the world’s leading provider of experiential adventure travel.
- Our Mission is to connect guests and staff to iconic places through unforgettable, inspiring experiences.
The Director of Hospitality at the Columbia Icefield (CIF) is the face of our hospitality departments including Food & Beverage, Retail and Hotel Operations. This important role acts as a conduit for communication and cooperation with all other CIF departments working together to drive excellence in everything we do. As member of the CIF leadership team, this role helps us cultivate a meaningful and inclusive culture, while ensuring our continuous focus on creating unforgettable and inspiring guest and staff experiences.
- Provide direction, leadership and daily support to the hospitality teams at the CIF, including Food & Beverage, Retail, and Hotel Operations
- Ensure delivery of positive and memorable guest experiences
- Provide creative and service-focused solutions to guest issues or concerns
- Coordinate with CIF operations teams to develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), workplace policies and training & education programs to support the hospitality businesses at CIF
- Work closely with CIF managers and the Banff Jasper Collection People & Culture (HR) team to ensure staffing plans are well-defined, and that recruiting and hiring is on track based on seasonal timelines
- Prepare hiring communications and onboarding processes in conjunction with the People & Culture team, including organized arrival experiences, orientations, and training programs
- Maintain positive working relationships with CIF teams onsite, external suppliers, and Pursuit support services departments
- Bring your best by providing regular operational support whenever needed. Become a role model by exhibiting the leadership qualities and behaviours as required by the CIF General Manager and other members of the Leadership Team;
- Ensure that valid and accurate statistics and business data are gathered to guide teams and team members to achieve established business goals. This includes, but is not limited to, milestone reports, operational reports key performance indicators, and ongoing performance survey reports such as Net Promoter Scores and Employee Engagement scores;
- Develop and maintain hospitality-focused programs in each department that directly affect the CIF guest experience and satisfaction
- Develop a clear understanding of Point of Sale (POS) and Validation systems, including business processes used in frontline guest-facing roles
- Work closely with the CIF leadership team to develop and maintain a focus on safety, hospitality, and animation
This list describes a lot of what a Director of Hospitality does, but no job description can anticipate every single issue or project that could come up. Pursuit and the Banff Jasper Collection might need to reduce, add or change job tasks from time to time.
A minimum of 3 years’ management-level experience in roles that include hospitality, hotel, culinary, retail, or related business fields
- Hands-on work experience directly managing and a large, diverse working team
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Experience implementing training programs, including leadership development and mentoring
- Comfort and experience delivering direct feedback and communication, including providing performance expectations, workplace training, goal-setting, conflict management, and progressive discipline.
- A true passion for guest-focused business and working closely with people
- Flexibility, adaptability, and strong desire to be a productive member of the CIF team
- An ability to bring high-energy and enthusiasm to the workplace
- An ability to speak a foreign language beyond English is desirable
- Willingness and ability to perform in a high-volume, guest-focused operation
- Willingness and ability to work in a remote, outdoor environment
- Experience with fundamental finance and accounting principles desired, including experience managing to an operating budget, ability to read and analyze P&L statements, cost of goods, cost of sales, margins, and labor planning
- Must be proficient in basic computer use, including MS Office tools
- Knowledge and experience with Micros point of sale system, Retail Pro point of sale system and/or Maestro an asset
- Ability to legally work in Alberta, Canada, including ability to live at the Columbia Icefield during the operating season/during your weekly schedule
- Willingness to submit to and pass a pre-employment criminal background check
- Must possess a valid Canadian Passport and Driver’s License
Thank you for your interest in working with us, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Though apparently tranquil, the Columbia Icefield is a powerful, dynamic force, shaping the regional landscape and climate. Its glaciers endlessly advance and retreat in an ancient elemental dance, in a place where time is measured in millennia.
The Columbia Icefield is located in Jasper National Park. The Icefield – The largest body of ice in the Canadian Rockies - is one of the reasons why the United Nations declared Canada’s four Rocky Mountain Parks World Heritage Sites. The Icefield covers 215 square kilometers with solid ice estimated up to 365 meters (1200 feet) deep. Meltwater from the Icefield flows to three oceans: The Pacific, Arctic and Atlantic via Hudson Bay.
It is here, we welcome 1000’s of guests per day at the Glacier Discovery Centre. The Glacier Discovery Centre, located at the heart of the Icefields Parkway is the place where people come to experience glaciers in the Canadian Rockies. From here we offer: hotel accommodations, world-class dining and retail options and incredible attractions, where guests discover the power of nature on the Glacier Adventure—the must-do experience in the Canadian Rockies. At the heart of the incredible Icefields Parkway is one of the largest non-polar ice fields in the world. Here, guests travel on a massive Ice Explorer to a place where they can walk on, feel and drink from the Athabasca Glacier. Then, they take a jaw-dropping walk along the glass-floored Glacier Skywalk at the cliff’s edge.