COMBAT SUPPORT SYSTEMS INTEGRATION ENGINEER
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
The Combat Support Systems Integration Engineer will fulfill a key role in the Navigation System Team. This position will be responsible for providing coordination and engineering oversight to the integration, installation, set to work, test and evaluation of all Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Combat Support Systems. This will include, but is not limited to:
• Maritime Tactical Command and Control Systems (MTC2);
• Mission Readiness Assessment Systems (MRAS); and
• Data Collection Systems (DCS).
The selected candidate will work as an integral member of the Integrated Product Team (IPT) with the Combat System Integrator (CSI). This position will also be a Point of Contact (POC) within the Irving Shipbuilding Inc. (ISI) CSC team, for all Combat Support Systems Integration activities. This role will report to the Navigation Systems Team Lead.
This is a full time, permanent staff role (one opening) located in Halifax N.S.
- Engineering degree (Electrical / Electronic preferred).
- Be a Professional Engineer or have eligibility for this qualification.
- Post graduate qualifications in systems engineering or equivalent experience
A minimum of five years’ experience in the following fields:
- Engineering on large and complex defense engineering projects
- Coordination with multiple complex organizations
- Extensive knowledge on the design, integration, installation and test of Combat Support Systems
- Knowledge of complex systems integration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of Combat System Architecture
Experience in the following fields would be preferred:
- Experience in engineering for Naval platforms
- Understanding of ship construction
- Experience working in design, production and or test on a ship construction program.
- Develop plans, procedures, and processes in support of Combat Support System related program requirements.
- Participate in the CSC IPT structure to coordinate and manage all stakeholder interests, governing standards, and CSC requirements applicable to CSC Combat Support Systems.
- Provide engineering oversight and guidance during requirements definition, design, integration, and test activities to ensure that fully compliant and certified solutions are provided in accordance with sound engineering practice.
- Liaise with the CSI and OEM to the extent of contractual and IP boundaries to transfer knowledge of proposed Combat Support Systems and their integration into the CSC project.
- Provide knowledge and insight into the hardware and software integration challenges with Combat Support Systems and associated mitigation processes.
- Provide knowledge and insight into the operational employment of Combat Support Systems and their roles in Warfare.
- Provide technical expertise in the development and evaluation of documentation products related to the requirements definition, design, integration, and test of all Combat Support Systems.
- Support the coordination of scheduling, planning, and conduct of activities to ensure that related program milestones are met.
- Ensure performance compliance of the Combat Support system solutions.
- Provide accurate status reports on assigned activities to the Navigation Systems Team Lead.
- Provide support in evaluating engineering change to ensure that impacts, risks, and issues related to design, integration, test, and acceptance activities are understood and recorded.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with internal (Shipyard Production, CSC Program personnel) and external stakeholders (subcontractors and Canadian government staff).
- Support a culture of teamwork, pro-activeness, and enthusiasm within the Combat System team, and be a role model for professional behavior.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision