Job DescriptionJob Title: Community Liaison WorkerWork Site: Integrated Care Team, Pender Community Health Centre - Downtown Eastside (DTES), Vancouver, BCStatus: Temporary Full TimeStart Date: As soon as possible until return of incumbent (indefinite end date)Salary: $25.40 - $27.53 per hourHours:
Days off: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidaysReference#: 130070-jmc
Come work as a Community Liaison Worker with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a graduate of a Social Services Worker Program to join its team as a Community Liaison Worker. Apply today to join our team!
As a Community Liaison Worker with Vancouver Coastal Health, you will:
- Provide support services to clients who have mental health and drug and alcohol misuse/addiction issues.
- Work across multiple sites, clinics, and services within an integrated health service delivery model and interdisciplinary care team that includes primary care; mental health and substance use; private General Practitioner (GP) partners and other Community Care Services.
- Monitor clients, document and provide verbal reports on observations in accordance with standard procedures or specific direction.
- Facilitate the use of community services/resources and provide information on community services.
- Liaise and coordinate services with mental health, addictions, and medical professionals.
- Plan, organize, facilitate and co-leads groups as required.
- Participate in the process of case planning, assist clients with the activities of daily living including maintaining personal hygiene and appearance, safety, shopping, budgeting, and escorts clients to appointments.
- Act as an advocate for clients.
- Provide information/support related to clients with complex health care needs.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
QUALIFICATIONS:Education & Experience
- Certificate from a recognized Community Mental Health Worker or Social Services Assistant Program plus two (2) years’ recent experience supporting clients through a holistic mental health, substance use and primary care lens or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid B.C. driver's license preferred.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of community, social and health resources.
- Ability to keyboard 5000 keystrokes per hour.
- Knowledge of substance misuse and of problems encountered by chemically dependent individuals; basic understanding of behavior management.
- Knowledge and experience in providing culturally safe and competent care, specifically pertaining to Aboriginal people.
- Knowledge and experience in Trauma Informed Practice, Harm Reduction and Recovery Oriented Care.
- Knowledge of mental health issues and treatment.
- Knowledge of appropriate acts ie Mental Health Act, Adult Guardianship, Public Health Act as it relates to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of community, social and mental health resources in the DTES.
- Ability to demonstrate and assist client with activities of daily living.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict situations, manage aggressive behaviour, and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish/maintain satisfactory work relationships with the public and other employees, to deal tactfully and effectively with co-workers, public and staff from other agencies, to maintain confidentiality and to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.