McMillen Jacobs Associates' has an opportunity for a Construction Inspector in our Vancouver, BC office within our Construction Management Practice. This position will be based out of our design office in Vancouver, BC with work at a project field office in the Greater Vancouver area primarily on underground and pipeline construction projects.
The successful candidate for this position will have experience with shaft, tunneling and trenchless methods for water supply, wastewater and pipeline construction.
This position requires physical fitness necessary to make field visits and inspections of on-going construction including tunneling under various field conditions.
- Performs inspections on heavy civil and underground construction projects.
- Has good situational awareness and documents contractor activities, staffing and equipment in a detailed and organized manner.
- Applies knowledge and expertise acquired through progressive experience to resolve issues.
- Makes decisions to ensure safety standards are being met.
- Demonstrates initiative to independently evaluate, select, and apply standard construction techniques, procedures, and criteria; and collaboratively uses judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect and monitor construction contractor's work and prepare daily, weekly and monthly inspection reports as required. Review contractor reports.
- Review and provide input into field related Submittals, Requests for Information, Design Clarifications, geotechnical information and data, and CPM schedules.
- Monitor the Contractor's receipt of materials arriving on-site, monitor off-site production activities and/or any other construction activities in his/her area.
- Monitor construction progress for compliance with Contract Documents, safety standards and agency requirements.
- Utilize agency Project Information Management System (PIMS) and/or other Agency electronic systems for preparing Inspection Reports.
- Assist the Engineer of Record (EoR) team as needed during times when inspection requirements are light.
- Have the ability to work both independently and collaborate with other Inspectors for field problem solving.
- Ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines.
- Aid in drafting As-Builts.
Typical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job. Intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve construction inspection activities; interpret and explain codes, rules and regulations; and observe safety precautions.
- Intermittently, sit at desk for long periods of time; walk and stand while performing inspections; kneel and bend while reviewing infrastructure; climb in and out of trenches; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
- Evaluate quality of construction and materials.
- Determine safety implications of construction techniques.
- Determine and verify elevations using hand level and calculator.
- Use sound judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
- Operate and use modern office equipment including computers and applicable software.
- Maintain regular attendance and adhere to prescribed work schedule to conduct job responsibilities.
- Utilize appropriate safety procedures and practices for assigned duties.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Relate effectively with people of varied academic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds using tact, diplomacy, and courtesy.
- Establish and maintain effective, cooperative and collaborative working relationships with others.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with inspection of heavy civil construction.
- BC Health and Safety certification or equivalent.
General Performance Expectations:
- Have a wide range of knowledge of heavy civil and underground construction techniques, building codes and standards.
- Be well organized and analytical with the ability to communicate information clearly and precisely.
- Available to work extra hours or a weekend day on occasion as well as periods of night shifts when the work on site requires.
- Strong math skills.
For additional company information and to apply online, please visit our website at www.mcmjac.com
McMillen Jacobs Associates is an Affirmative Action Employer and will make all employment related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or disability status.
McMillen Jacobs is a full-service environmental, engineering, and self-performing construction firm in the water resources, hydropower, fisheries, transportation, and heavy civil underground markets. Through our 21 offices and over 430 staff members, we offer public and private clients early planning, regulatory requirements, design, self-perform construction, startup and commissioning services, as well as operations support.