Requisition ID: 17401
Job Category: Construction
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Construction Superintendent, Outside Battery Limits (OSBL)
Hatch is currently seeking a Construction Superintendent (non-process OSBL) candidate with a strong Construction management background for our Roquette Vegetable-Processing Facility in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.
Reporting to the Construction Manager, the OSBL Construction Superintendent is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the project works contractors and maintaining the project performance goals.
The main facilities in the OSBL area are:
- General site earthworks;
- Temporary Facilities and Site Services;
- Administration buildings, laboratory, workshop and warehouse buildings;
- Air compressors and air distribution;
- Natural gas tie-in and distribution;
- Steam boiler and distribution;
- 230 kV substation and power distribution;
- Process control system;
- Communication and IT;
- Water Treatment and distribution;
- Waste Water Treatment and collection;
- Chemical storage building.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate construction projects from start to finish while remaining in compliance with safety regulations, project schedule, drawing specifications, quality guidelines and budget.
- Organize and chair weekly contractor meetings.
- Monitor the overall progress of construction for assigned areas and take corrective action where necessary.
- Identify, assess and manage construction risks within assigned areas.
- Set up job sites in coordination with the Construction Manager and Site Supervisors.
- Oversee and direct the performance of three main functions for the assigned area – Safety, Quality and Construction.
- Prepare and track construction project budgets.
- Prepare quantity surveys when necessary.
- Assist in estimating duties as required.
- Plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress against established schedules for assigned areas.
- Responsible for, or assist the Construction Manager in the overall planning and scheduling to ensure that the Project is constructed in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Coordinate with construction supervisors, and assure that the required resources are needed for the job sites.
- Develop recovery strategies when project performance is in jeopardy.
- Review and update schedule, cost forecast and cash flow with Contracts Manager.
- Provide input for contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and subcontractor.
- Monitor every job site daily to ensure that safety and quality is respected.
- Maintain excellent relationships with owner, consultants, subcontractors & public through pre-construction meetings, quality meetings and control meetings.
- Represent company on matters such as business services and union contracts negotiation.
- Interface with client representatives, design consultants, other contractors, etc.
- Maintain appropriate field documentation including safety records daily.
- Prepare progress reports, rental records, concrete logs etc.
- Supervise the activities of subcontractors and subordinate staff.
- Plan and supervise the work of subcontractors and own forces on the project including determining methods of construction, manpower levels, material quantities, equipment and work schedules.
- Assume responsibility for productivity of subtrades, efficient use of materials and equipment and contractual performance of the project.
- Supervise, mentor, coach and train project personnel.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
- Implement and enforce Hatch’s corporate health and safety program.
- Engineering degree, or equivalent.
- Ability to lead and work in a team environment.
- Effective report writing, planning and organizational skills.
- Experience in most facilities and equipment to be built in the area of responsibility.
- Well-developed communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- General knowledge of construction, engineering, procurement, contracts, scheduling and cost estimating, and their interrelationships.
- Experienced with managing contractors and sub-contractors.
- Proficient in the use of construction drawings, survey drawings, and installation specifications.
- Construction and project management experience.
- Post graduate studies or specialized courses in construction management.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.