The Contracts Specialist reports to the Contract Manager – New Construction. The Contracts Specialist working will work in a team environment under the lead of a Senior Contracts Specialist. The Specialist will support contract negotiations, proposal development, customer relationships, internal management, and the execution and administration of National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS) contracts. This team ensures that Vancouver Shipyards (VSY) contract management standards and processes are properly applied, all obligations of VSY and the customer are met and contractual risks are identified, reported and managed.
- Responsible for keeping clear records (online and physical) of all contractual documentation, and approval documentation in accordance with the company’s operating procedures.
- Responsible for inputting contractual information into internal databases and ensuring this is accurate and up to date; ensuring all contract amendment activity is clearly tracked and assisting with the reporting of this.
- Assisting with the communication of contractual updates to internal stakeholders.
- Supports and reviews proposals and assists with the negotiation of contracts, and amendments with the customer. If required, the specialist will consult with legal counsel regarding interpretation of issues.
- Prepares, presents and executes agreement documents covering the prime contracts and amendments, ensuring the execution of contractual documentation is in accordance with the company’s delegation of authority policy.
- Provides thorough and timely review of documents drafted by other teams identifying, evaluating and mitigating commercial and contractual risk to the company.
- Liaises with Customer and internal stakeholders; understand and translate needs into feasible work plans.
- Work with Customers regarding contract deliverables, including documentation, plans, milestones and other unique contract requirements.
- Keeps accurate, easily accessible and complete records of the Company’s contractual and business matters for the scope of work assigned to them.
- Ensures that the business area is cognizant of the requirement to have these agreements properly expressed and executed in a timely manner to protect the interests of the business area as well as the Company.
- Keeps immediate Supervisor and the business area appraised of business risk issues.
- Advises and assists with internal queries relating to the requirements and obligations of the prime contracts.
- Maintain a good understanding of the processes used by the Company to monitor its day to day affairs and follow those processes (e.g. contract approval, time sheet recording, performance reporting).
Education and Experience
- University degree is required, preferably in business or law.
- Minimum 3 years related industry or government experience.
- Experience with and knowledge of Canadian Federal Government Procurement agreements including SACC knowledge is a benefit.
- Must be able to secure a Canadian Government (CISD) Personal Security Clearance and controlled goods registration.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently, both in writing and in person.
- Analytical ability within business and legal issues; applied standards and procedures.
- Ability to conduct research on the internet and elsewhere for licensing and contractual items, etc.
- Strong customer service orientation. Demonstrated abilities to understand and translate customer needs into feasible work plans.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, negotiation and relationship management skills with all level of employees, internal and external.
- Proven ability to take initiative and problem solve.
- Demonstration of leadership skills including influencing others relative to core values behavior's and strategic goals.
- A proven team player.
- Excellent knowledge of English language, verbal and written.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including to senior management levels.
- Demonstration of exemplary business ethics, integrity and honesty in all situations.
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Good judgment and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work with limited direction and to function as a team member.